View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 VM Directpath on NEW AMD Opteron 6100 Series not working 

Post VM Directpath on NEW AMD Opteron 6100 Series not working
I recently purchased an new AMD Opteron 6128 8core cpu and a Supermicro H8SGL-F Serverboard with 4 8GB DDR3 1333 ECC/REG DIMMS for 32GB of ram.
The new Opterons and the AMD SR5650 + SP5100 Chipset Support IOMMU natively now. There is an option in the BIOS to enable or disable IOMMU.
The problem I am having is that when i enable this feature and boot into ESXi4.0 or ESX4.0 it tells me that "Host does not support passthough configuration" in the advanced hardware tab. So I am unable to get it working... however AMD showed a demo at CES with their new opterons and one of their 5XXX Series GPU's using IOMMU and VM Directpath to pass the video card directly through to a VM for 3d rendering so I know it should be supported but i can not get it to work...

Does anyone have a possible solution or are you experiencing a similar problem?

Please help this is a test system and we are looking to deploy a large scale VM deployment with these new CPU's this summer and we need Direct hardware passthrough.

Thanks for any input.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 am

Post Re: VM Directpath on NEW AMD Opteron 6100 Series not working
I just ordered the exact same hardware, and I hope this will be fixed. Have you tried this (from VMWare's homepage):

Verify IOMMU Is Enabled After ESX Is Booted
Use the --list option of the esxcfg-module command from the ESX service console or the
vicfg-module.pl command from the vSphere CLI to verify if IOMMU (VT‐d or AMD IOMMU) is enabled.
For details about this command, see “VMkernel Module Manipulation with vicfg‐module” in the vSphere
Command‐Line Interface Installation and Reference Guide.
If IOMMU is not enabled, refer to the hardware manual for your Intel or AMD machine to learn how to enable
VT‐d or AMD IOMMU.

Best regards

Grisen

Fri May 28, 2010 9:48 pm

Have you tried this (From VMWare's homepage http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... 2092557220):

Verify IOMMU Is Enabled After ESX Is Booted
Use the --list option of the esxcfg-module command from the ESX service console or the
vicfg-module.pl command from the vSphere CLI to verify if IOMMU (VT‐d or AMD IOMMU) is enabled.
For details about this command, see “VMkernel Module Manipulation with vicfg‐module” in the vSphere
Command‐Line Interface Installation and Reference Guide.
If IOMMU is not enabled, refer to the hardware manual for your Intel or AMD machine to learn how to enable
VT‐d or AMD IOMMU.
?

Could help to determine whether it's a bios issue or a VMWare issue...

Best regards

Grisen

Fri May 28, 2010 11:54 pm

I called supermicro and they made an update to the boards bios! It is now working flawlessly. Make sure you have at least version 1.0a

Sat May 29, 2010 1:09 am

Hello bigj95636
I have also bought a SM H8SGL-F Serverboard becouse I find some user commends that this board should work with ESXi 4.1 without problems?
So far I have a lot of problems with the board. IOMMU is not working at all ! If I activate this funktion in the BIOS I cannot connect to the ESXi anymor (i still have a ping put thats it). My BIOS V. is the latest from the SM Homep. (R1.1a). Also my Hardware Sensors are gone after some hours (somtimes after one day). When I reboot the ESXi, the sensors come again for a while!? No idea how I can fix that.
Please can you tell me exactly what kind of config. do you use. Or what you have activated in the BIOS.
with regards
db2flasher

Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]