View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Virtual Machine Startup/Shutdown Problems 

Post Virtual Machine Startup/Shutdown Problems
So I've noticed this a couple of times, and can't figure out why it's doing this. Today I shut down all of my machines and rebooted my ESXi host. I installed a second NIC and powered it back up. I noticed that upon turning the host back on, the VMs weren't starting up by themselves. I checked the configuration tab of the host, and all of my startup orders were lost and all VMs were under manual startup.

I've had this happen a couple of times now, but can't figure out why. Any ideas?

Also, if I wanted to power the host down, is there a safe way to do so without manually shutting down each VM first? In other words, if I tell the host to shut down, will it properly shutdown each VM (at least the ones with VMWare Tools installed), or will it just power them off?

TravisT

• G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)

Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:57 pm

Post Re: Virtual Machine Startup/Shutdown Problems
TravisT wrote:
So I've noticed this a couple of times, and can't figure out why it's doing this. Today I shut down all of my machines and rebooted my ESXi host. I installed a second NIC and powered it back up. I noticed that upon turning the host back on, the VMs weren't starting up by themselves. I checked the configuration tab of the host, and all of my startup orders were lost and all VMs were under manual startup.

I've had this happen a couple of times now, but can't figure out why. Any ideas?

Also, if I wanted to power the host down, is there a safe way to do so without manually shutting down each VM first? In other words, if I tell the host to shut down, will it properly shutdown each VM (at least the ones with VMWare Tools installed), or will it just power them off?

TravisT

The startup / shutdown settings are not very useful in ESX. I have spent days testing and never managed to get it to work correctly. VMs start up in the wrong order, don't shutdown properly when shutting down the host. Quite disappointing really. In reality you would never use this setting in a data center so vmware are probably not in any hurry to make this feature work reliably.
Let me know if you have success as I would like to get this working.
Edit: I have now got this working in ESXi 5.0

Last edited by tom333 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:10 am

I've had them work as intended before, but for some reason at random times the configs are completely lost, resulting in all vm's being moved back to manual startup. I'm also unsure of how to manually invoke the startup/shutdown sequence other than with a power loss or power cycle of the host. It would be nice if there was a one button shutdown/startup that would gracefully shutdown or startup all vm's in line with the startup/shutdown orders specified in the host configuration.

Of course it would also be nice if the configs would not be lost intermittently as well...

• G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)

Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:10 am
Site Admin

If you access the console you can use this command to start the auto start process

vim-cmd hostsvc/autostartmanager/autostart

The config for auto start gets saved with the system config backup. If something went wrong with that then that's why you may have lost the config. Did you loose any other config settings?

If you want to have a clean power down, then you need to enable auto start/stop and then set the appropriate shut down settings. For a guest shutdown you will require VMware Tools running in your VMs.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]