View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 ASUS M4N78 (trying built-in SATA) 

Post Re: ASUS M4N78 (trying built-in SATA)
Yep, gonna try that.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:19 am

Good news: using the USB flash disk method with the oem.tgz from http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=311&p=1731#p1731 I managed to install ESXi. However booting from the HD fails because the dd image doesn't contain the oem.tgz file.

It is explained here:
Code:
1) Modify oem.tgz on the install CD
2) Boot the CD and install ESXi
3) After the install is complete, reboot the host with a bootable Linux CD
4) Modify oem.tgz on the Hypervisor1 partition
5) Reboot your host and ESXi will boot using the modified oem.tgz file

I rebooted the host with another USB flash that has a small linux distribution on it. 'fdisk -l' shows sda1, sda4, sda5, sda6, sda7 and sda8:
Code:
/dev/sda1     Extended
/dev/sda4     FAT16 < 32M
/dev/sda5     FAT16
/dev/sda6     FAT16
/dev/sda7     VMware VMKCORE
/dev/sda8     FAT16

sda1 and sda7 aren't mounted. VMKCORE is the core dump partition or something like that and all other partitions are empty. I tried mounting sda1 without success.

How do I continue? I somehow have to mount the partition and copy the oem.tgz over. Then I have to make it load on boot.

Too bad that I'm a Windows guy.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:37 pm

Update: Apparently Hypervisor1 partition maps to sda5, which is already mounted. However it looks empty. Actually even the flashdisks look empty :?:

Update2: Success! It seems that I had to manually mount partitions. :oops:

Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:26 pm

I do have the same problem, I have m4n78pro motherboard
and mcp77 controller, using custom oem method I can see the controller but disk not recognise.

can anyone provide me the steps to compile the source code and install the modules (nv_sata.o)

I have attached the redhat drivers nv_sata. this also contains driver source code.

can anyone help me how to compile the sourcecode and install on vmware esx4

Attachments:
File comment: source code and drivers for nvidia (nv_sata.o)
RHEL5_U1.zip [522.63 KiB]
Downloaded 339 times
Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:21 am
Site Admin

ravishankarrs wrote:
can anyone provide me the steps to compile the source code and install the modules (nv_sata.o)

Take a look at these threads - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1525&hilit=compile
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=231&p=6085&hilit=kernelcrash#p6085

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:52 am

Heya all - I got one step closer to fixing my issue with teh very same board...

if you are having problems getting Drivers to load up as a part of the install process - make sure you edit the isolinux.cfg file prior to the script packaging it back up.

If you want to do it on the fly, just stop the install process at the boot menu, press TAB and add " --- oem.tgz" (I added it in between image.tgz and install.tgz

This will make sure it loads up the correct drivers - as long as you also have the appropriate pci.ids and simple.map settings.

I saw this fix the non loading driver issue, but the install still fails telling me no supported storage devices to install to. I even tried moving the Sata port from port 1 to Port 6, etc.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:26 am
Site Admin

nicademu wrote:
I saw this fix the non loading driver issue, but the install still fails telling me no supported storage devices to install to. I even tried moving the Sata port from port 1 to Port 6, etc.

Did you check with fdisk and lspci -p to see if ESXi can see any storage and that a driver is loaded for the storage controller?

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:41 pm

Dave - Yeah sorted it all out, In the end it was that the ahci.o driver that was loading, even though I was using V's script, it wasn't placing the ahci.o drive from premsyl's oem.tgz.

The problem with esx4i Update 2 (and probably Update 1) is the prebuilt ahci.o driver does not properly work with these motherboards(MC78 chipset for that matter.) it's the same symptom on most of them - HBAs turn up but no storage.

Anyway what you have to make sure of is that the \usr\lib\vmware\vmkmod\ahci.o file is maintained within the oem.tgz file on the boot cd, otherwise no matter what you do to get lspci showing you have a vmhbaxx against a "nVidia-this-is-what-I-named-mydevice" etc. you won't get the storage because ESX just loads the ahci.o module from it's module path directory - the root \usr\lib\vmware\vmkmod rather than the oem.tgz

The way I understand each of the archive files that are listed in the boot up each has like a slice of a total read-only operating system, with a specific purpose and each individually "replacable" - for instance if you have to replace your mobo with something with a different chipset but don't want to or can't do a re-install. just boot with Linux go to the Hypervisor1 partition and replace your oem.tgx file with your system specific and away you go, it's like a manual Kudzu after the fact. Now if only windows XP and win2k* could have let you do that just as easy without having to resort to clunky ERD Commander and the atapiix drivers...!!!

BTW in case you've got an interest my 2 x ASUS M4N78 pro's with SATA both now have 2 x tb drives each in them with a network RAID 10 across them both as a clustered iSCSI for the VM's running inside the same ESX Boxes. Fault tolerant, HA, no need for external NAS and fast on the Vm-backplane so no need for hardware switching.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5