View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Two Filesystems with the same UUID have been detected - ESXi 

Post Re: Two Filesystems with the same UUID have been detected -
Thanks Dave - though the site indicates that this is a read-only driver, I'd run into the problem of being able to read them but not able to write them to anywhere.... Unless you're meaning evac'ing them to another location? That may be more plausible.

One thing to note is that I did the original upgrade from a 4.0 build to the 4.1 build and it permitted those to run along side - I'm presuming it's created different UUIDs for the drives between versions?

Or perhaps it didn't have the UUID the check system in 4.0? I might try building 4.0 to a USB key and seeing if it tolerates the two systems along side each other?

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:00 am

Ok I may have a very dodgy solution to this...

I pulled all drives and put in a 4gig USB key and an IDE CD-Rom drive.

I then set up a boot disc of the previous release of 4.0 – and I installed ESXi to the USB key which shows up as a hard drive in the BIOS that I have.

This let me boot to a 4.0 build and all is well (all from USB).

I then removed the IDE CD-Rom and re-connected both IDE drives – still booting with the 4.0 build on the key.

I’ve booted and bingo, all comes up and both data stores are there.

I’m using the standard vsphere GUI client to copy from one data store to the other – the system’s not remotely responsive right now (I did a simple “copy/paste”) but it appears to be copying.

I’d say the UUID routine is something new in 4.1 that stops these things happening and that it was either working differently in 4.0 or didn’t exist somehow. For the record I tried this same procedure with a 4.1 boot on the key and it failed with the UUID duplicate error but so far so good with 4.0.

Seeing how this goes, I’ll post back when it’s finished transferring all the files and I’m able to boot with the new device.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:29 pm

Righto - it worked. The technique I used installing 4.0 onto a USB stick and booting from there seems to have worked, it ignored the common UUIDs and let me transfer files from one drive to another.

I think this technique could be used by anyone wanting to transfer files from one data partition to another like that... handy to keep a 4.0 ISO around, I presume 3.5 may have worked too but it didn't have out of the box IDE and SATA at the same time on my board.

One thing I noted was that the OEM.TGZ in the new build was nearly 1mb in size - I needed to rename it out of the way to get my NIC driver going again, what's contained in the new one with 4.1? Is it just a broader array of hardware support from VMWare? I have the RT8111c onboard NIC to support.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:10 pm
Site Admin

> One thing I noted was that the OEM.TGZ in the new build was nearly 1mb in size - I needed to rename it out of the way to get my NIC driver going again, what's contained in the new one with 4.1? Is it just a broader array of hardware support from VMWare? I have the RT8111c onboard NIC to support.

Do you mean the default one that comes from VMware? It should be empty.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:27 pm

the one in bootbank was huge - 900+k in size, the one in altbootbank was the regular blank file though...

I took a copy of it locally before sending it up - I built this build off the CD directly and hadn't brought any of the driver files across so I'm pretty sure it came from the VMWare build (unless I'm looking at the wrong oem.tgz file?).

Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:32 pm
Site Admin

This is too late to help you, but the solution was a bit easier than I expected.

http://www.vm-help.com//esx41/file_system_UUID.php

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:30 am

Thanks Dave, that would have made life a --lot-- easier at the time!

I think it's going to be more of a common issue for homebrew users now, especially if they're moving off a particular (dying) hard drive as I was.

I'll probably have to use it when I migrate to 2.5" drives down the track anyway.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2