View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 

Post Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Working whitebox:

motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
nic: Intel Pro/1000 GT
cpu: Intel i7 930
ESXi version: ESXi 4.0 Update 1 (ESXi 4.0.0 build 208167)
Disk: Sata 2 disk -> connected to sata2 port controlled by intel ich10r chip
Sata mode: AHCI -> ich sata control mode = ahci in bios -> integrated peripherals
virtualization technology: enabled in bios -> advanced cpu features

VT-d: DOESN'T WORK (BIOS version: F5): "Host does not support passthrough configuration"

I didn't test it long. I just install ESXi on it. I will test it more. Any problems will be posted.

Thanks for Dave.Mishchenko (vm-help.com forum) and PiLsY (XtremeSystems forum) for their help and suggestions.

ESXi can be boot from pendrive too. I installed (choosed pendrive as a destination) and boot ESXi from 1GB pendrive without problems/errors)

Last edited by studnia on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:09 pm

Post Re: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Hi,

I am thinking of using almost the exact same hardware for a build. I am either going to go for the X58 or the X58A board.

1. Have you had any problems so far?
2. What about graphics? That board doesn't include integrated graphics i believe
3. Is VT and VT-d the same? Were you able to get VT-d to work with a bios upgrade or something?

Thanks

Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:00 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
3. Is VT and VT-d the same? Were you able to get VT-d to work with a bios upgrade or something?

VT or VT-x is a CPU feature that will allow you to run 64 bit guest OSes on ESXi. VT-d is a chipset feature and isn't dependent on VT-x.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:48 am

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply. So if VT-d doesn't work with this setup, am i only missing out on the ability to push a USB stick through to a VM?

ESXi and my VM's will still be able to take advantage of "hardware virtualisation" ?

Thanks again. Any help with this is much appreciated.

Gabriel

Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:51 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. So if VT-d doesn't work with this setup, am i only missing out on the ability to push a USB stick through to a VM?

That's right. Assuming the CPUs that you use have the VT-x feature and the MB has the option to enable VT-x (I can't confirm this for this MB) then you'll be able to use hardware assist.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:57 pm

Hi,

From what i can gather, that board supports VT-x which is great.

I am just going to use an old 8400 for graphics and i found community drivers on SourceForge for the onboard Realtek 8111D network card. Not sure how that will go but hey it's worth a try

http://sourceforge.net/projects/open-vdrivers/

Thanks again.

Gabriel

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:17 pm

gabr13l:
1. Have you had any problems so far?

i don't have problems with this whitebox. it's stable and have very good performance
i had problems with my Kingston 1333 memory - it's on supported modules list but my system set it to 1066 (in auto mode). I manualy set memory multipler and my modules works on 1333 now (i tested it with memtest - no errors)

2. What about graphics? That board doesn't include integrated graphics i believe

you can use any PCIe graphic card - it's only to setup ip adress and reboot/shutdown server;p

Dave.Mishchenko answered you:D I send emails to gigabyte support and they can't help me (they answered that mobo isn't server mobo and i should install software with sata ide mode - ?? i don't understand how vt-d depends on sata mode)

Realtek 8111D:

I heard about this modules but i didn't use it. i need stable system. i heard about stability issues with realtek modules. I putted additional intel card. maybe i will add this modules later - then i will have system with 2 network cards. intel card is cheap and you won't have any problems with it.

i advise you to buy X58A (not EX58) - X58A is better motherboard (it have more memory slots for example)

Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:15 pm

Hi
I have the same MB and CPU, just NIC is Intel Pro 1000 MT Desktop Adapter. I had enabled VT and AHCI option in BIOS.
I could pass the HW verification. On the "Welcome to the VMware ESXi 4.0.0 Installation ", I could not select "Install","Cancel" or "Repair" option. Did you have the same problem? Any help would be appreciated!

Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:39 am

I had this issue also. It was due to my PS2 keyboard. Plugged in a USB keyboard and was able to select options.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:09 am

studnia, i have GA-X58A-UD5 i think they are mostly same specs,
can you please upload your oem.tgz file or explain a bit how did you succeed.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next