View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:11 am



Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 RTL8111/8168 and P55 integr. SATA Ctrl. (AHCI) for ESX 4 
Author Message

Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:09 am
Posts: 1
Reply with quote
Post Re: RTL8111/8168 and P55 integr. SATA Ctrl. (AHCI) for ESX 4
Hello all!
I am completely noob in Linux. Can somebody share already compiled ISO with this drivers already integrated? Thanks!


Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:52 am
Profile

Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:19 pm
Posts: 2
Reply with quote
Post Re: RTL8111/8168 and P55 integr. SATA Ctrl. (AHCI) for ESX 4
Thanks for the help, I have been attempting to get my RTL8111 dual gbit board working properly in ESXi 4.1 over the last few days using this iso creator: http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcode.google.com%2Fp%2Fmkesxiaio%2F&ei=bpojTr_VGePUmAW9zMmZAw&usg=AFQjCNH1824wz4WhEK_vZ1XmEfiKJymJDw

At first I tried: http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1272&p=9462#p9462
It seemed great at first, but then I realised that while I could manage the ESXi over the network the guest OS' were getting malformed packet issues

Next I used: [url]http://temp.vm-help.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&p=7412#p7412
[/url]
I had to copy the simple.map from the first driver to this one for the iso creator to work. after booting the ESX it could not tell there was a network cable plugged in but was on the network anyway.
It worked better as in the guest OS' could talk on the network and sync at 1gbit, but it would only transfer files at 10mbit, I disabled jumbo packets and TCP Offloat on the guest OS' but nothing helped.
Finally today I tried using the second network port and all of a sudden I am getting 700mbit transfer speeds.

I just thought I should post my experience incase it helps anyone else.


Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:34 pm
Profile

Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:00 pm
Posts: 30
Reply with quote
Post Re: RTL8111/8168 and P55 integr. SATA Ctrl. (AHCI) for ESX 4
effteedee wrote:
Thanks for the help, I have been attempting to get my RTL8111 dual gbit board working properly in ESXi 4.1 over the last few days using this iso creator: http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcode.google.com%2Fp%2Fmkesxiaio%2F&ei=bpojTr_VGePUmAW9zMmZAw&usg=AFQjCNH1824wz4WhEK_vZ1XmEfiKJymJDw

At first I tried: http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1272&p=9462#p9462
It seemed great at first, but then I realised that while I could manage the ESXi over the network the guest OS' were getting malformed packet issues

Next I used: [url]http://temp.vm-help.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&p=7412#p7412
[/url]
I had to copy the simple.map from the first driver to this one for the iso creator to work. after booting the ESX it could not tell there was a network cable plugged in but was on the network anyway.
It worked better as in the guest OS' could talk on the network and sync at 1gbit, but it would only transfer files at 10mbit, I disabled jumbo packets and TCP Offloat on the guest OS' but nothing helped.
Finally today I tried using the second network port and all of a sudden I am getting 700mbit transfer speeds.

I just thought I should post my experience incase it helps anyone else.


Did you ever get both of the gigabit cards working? I'm having trouble with the exact setup with dual 8111 cards onboard.
What motherboard are you using?


Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:47 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:51 pm
Posts: 2
Reply with quote
Post Re: RTL8111/8168 and P55 integr. SATA Ctrl. (AHCI) for ESX 4
I don't know the exact motherboard I am using, but it is I Gigabyte P55. I gave up with 4.1. With ESXi 5, everything worked great without the need for any tweaks! That would be my suggestion if going to version 5 is an option for you.


Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:14 pm
Profile

Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:00 pm
Posts: 30
Reply with quote
Post Re: RTL8111/8168 and P55 integr. SATA Ctrl. (AHCI) for ESX 4
keithk23 wrote:
I don't know the exact motherboard I am using, but it is I Gigabyte P55. I gave up with 4.1. With ESXi 5, everything worked great without the need for any tweaks! That would be my suggestion if going to version 5 is an option for you.


Lol, might/might not be. I'm trying to run FreeNAS and it might just need more than the 8GB of RAM that ESXi 5.0 allows me to allocate since I'm going to run RAID-Z2 with block-level de-dup.
I'm going to give this a few more goes before giving up, it's been a 2 month project that's been cursed from the begining and I've got too much invested to give me now!


Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:11 pm
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 3880
Reply with quote
Post Re: RTL8111/8168 and P55 integr. SATA Ctrl. (AHCI) for ESX 4
ESXi 5 free was updated to allow for 32 GB of RAM usage.

_________________
Dave Mishchenko
VMware vExpert 2009-2013
Image
Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide


Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:19 pm
Profile

Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:00 pm
Posts: 30
Reply with quote
Post Re: RTL8111/8168 and P55 integr. SATA Ctrl. (AHCI) for ESX 4
Thanks Dave. I think I might give ESXi 5.0 a try then if I can't get the network thing sorted out. I got 24GB of RAM installed in this box and be a shame if I can't use it.

EDIT: Nevermind, just read that ESXi 5.0 limits me to 8GB of RAM per socket, so 32GB with a 4 Socketed server. Since my server only has 1 socket but 24GB of RAM, this maybe a no go.


Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:40 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:50 am
Posts: 12
Reply with quote
Post Re: RTL8111/8168 and P55 integr. SATA Ctrl. (AHCI) for ESX 4
Is that right? On the FAQ it says ...

"vSphere Hypervisor license provides a vRAM entitlement of 32GB per server, regardless of the number of physical processors. vSphere Hypervisor can be used on servers with maximum physical RAM capacity of 32GB."

http://www.vmware.com/uk/products/datac ... r/faq.html

Hypothetical for me at the moment, as I need 4.1 in any case (which is why I'm reading a thread about third-party Realtek drivers)

Tony S


Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:48 am
Profile

Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:00 pm
Posts: 30
Reply with quote
Post Re: RTL8111/8168 and P55 integr. SATA Ctrl. (AHCI) for ESX 4
aesmith wrote:
Is that right? On the FAQ it says ...

"vSphere Hypervisor license provides a vRAM entitlement of 32GB per server, regardless of the number of physical processors. vSphere Hypervisor can be used on servers with maximum physical RAM capacity of 32GB."

http://www.vmware.com/uk/products/datac ... r/faq.html

Hypothetical for me at the moment, as I need 4.1 in any case (which is why I'm reading a thread about third-party Realtek drivers)

Tony S


Hmm ok good deal then! Thanks for the info, it seems there's a lot of random info flying around. Why do you have to stick with 4.1 again?


Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:58 am
Profile

Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:00 pm
Posts: 30
Reply with quote
Post Re: RTL8111/8168 and P55 integr. SATA Ctrl. (AHCI) for ESX 4
I have switched to ESXi 5.0 and not looking back! VT-d working correctly and I can confirm it does have correct drivers for RTL8111 LAN cards. I'm now in the process of setting up my FreeNAS box on it


Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:20 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.