View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 ESXi 3.5 Failing While Creating custom OEM.tgz 

Post ESXi 3.5 Failing While Creating custom OEM.tgz
I've recently come upon this site during my vmware esxi research and found the script to compile custom oem.tgz's. While trying to create a custom esxi 3.5 iso I ran into this error during the scripts execution. It asks me if I want to include wget, rsync, ssh, etc and I press Y . It goes through the downloading etc and then it gets to a line that says"

Replacing ^#ftp with ftp in /iso3.5/inetd.conf? [FAIL]

the script failed for some reason, if you can't solve it make a post on the vm-help.com forum.

I have verified that this inetd.conf file is present in the directory, I have the mkesxiaio_4.3.1.sh script and the VMware-VMvisor-InstallerCD-3.5.0_Update_5-207095.i386.iso all within the same folder along with the SSH_FTP_oem_1.1.tgz file. I'm running Debian 5.0 lenny from a virtual machine.

A few more questions if you don't mind that occurred to me during this customization process which are unrelated to the above issue.

1. If I don't include a simple.map and a pci.ids file will this mess things up with the bootable ISO that is created? I believe my hardware is already supported by esxi 3.5 (Dell Poweredge PERC Controller and BroadCom Nics) but I want the rsync support so this customization is needed. There is a line in this install that says:

"If you select any of the first three options, you have to add a custom driver." this makes me think I must add a driver for the ISO to work. Please clarify.

2. Does the rsync binary work well in deamon mode with this customization? I plan on rsyncing the vm backups (created with ghettovcb) to another server over a VPN connection.

3. If I do need to add a driver at a later time and also make sure I include the ssh, rsync, wget support should I include the SSH_FTP_oem_1.1.tgz file and then follow these steps to make sure the driver I need is properly included? I have placed questions throughout the steps. I Took these steps from the Varazir How-To but wanted to clarify a few things.

A. Download the driver.o file from the manufacturer's website
B. Create the custom folder on the root of where the oem.tgz and vmware ISO files are placed called: custom-esx
C. Place the driver.o file from above into this folder. This area I'm not sure about because you say it has to be in a certain path. Exactly what directory path within custom-esx must the driver be placed for this to work and is this always different depending on the kind of driver?
D. Get the PCI-ID of the device. Booting to a a live knoppix cd would probably show me this information.
E. Create the folder structure on the root called esx-oem/etc/vmware
F. Place the pci.ids and simple.map files into this directory: esx-oem/etc/vmware
G. Run the Varazir script

thanks for your help

Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:57 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: ESXi 3.5 Failing While Creating custom OEM.tgz
For question 1, if you don't have a simple.map/ pci.ids file, ESXi will still have other copies so you should be fine. Not sure if the script will generate an error though.

I haven't used rsync so I can't help with question 2. Check over at communities.vmware.com as the utility has been discussed there.

Question 3 - once you have your install complete, you can modify the oem.tgz directly on the host. You would
1) extract the file to a tmp folder
2) make your changes
3) tar it up again and replace the original. See the customizing oem.tgz article on the home page for steps.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:59 am

Dave.Mishchenko wrote:
For question 1, if you don't have a simple.map/ pci.ids file, ESXi will still have other copies so you should be fine. Not sure if the script will generate an error though.

I haven't used rsync so I can't help with question 2. Check over at communities.vmware.com as the utility has been discussed there.

Question 3 - once you have your install complete, you can modify the oem.tgz directly on the host. You would
2) make your changes
3) tar it up again and replace the original. See the customizing oem.tgz article on the home page for steps.

thanks what about this part?

I've recently come upon this site during my vmware esxi research and found the script to compile custom oem.tgz's. While trying to create a custom esxi 3.5 iso I ran into this error during the scripts execution. It asks me if I want to include wget, rsync, ssh, etc and I press Y . It goes through the downloading etc and then it gets to a line that says"

the script failed for some reason, if you can't solve it make a post on the vm-help.com forum.

I have verified that this inetd.conf file is present in the directory, I have the mkesxiaio_4.3.1.sh script and the VMware-VMvisor-InstallerCD-3.5.0_Update_5-207095.i386.iso all within the same folder along with the SSH_FTP_oem_1.1.tgz file. I'm running Debian 5.0 lenny from a virtual machine.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:22 pm

2marshall8 wrote:
Dave.Mishchenko wrote:

2) make your changes

thanks what about this part?

I think the ssh_ftp_oem.tgz already has the ftp option and when the script search for #ftp it can't find it and return a error msg.

//Daniel

Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:41 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]