View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Qualcomm Atheros AR8171 

Post Qualcomm Atheros AR8171
Hello, as you can see I am a new member of this forum. Just wanted to ask if someone has already implemented a the driver for Qualcomm Atheros AR8171 NIC into the ESXI installation file. From my point of view the implementation is not so easy, so before try to do, wanted to ask if there is someone who already did or can provide me a VIB file. Or perhaps could build a VIB file for me.
I also attach a screeshot hot the device looks on windows.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments:
atheros.PNG
atheros.PNG [ 16.45 KiB | Viewed 4308 times ]
Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:13 am

Post Re: Qualcomm Atheros AR8171
i've been trying to do something with this…
like zarma i took the 2.0.0.6 driver, tried to add 8171 support and compiled it.

it compiles and loads flawlessly on a system WITHOUT the QCA8171 (in a VM…)

On my hardware (ASRock B85M-ITX), loading the module results in a pink screen and the log shows "cannot map registers"
So to put it simply; the ioremap call fails but i have no means to find out why as i don't have the source code for it...

Find attached the source code and the binary for the alx driver as is

If somebody wants to try it on a different hardware see if that works out better ?

In the meantime I'll try something else see if i have better luck…

Anybody wants to chime in and give a hand, (s)he's most welcome...

Attachments:
File comment: compiled binary module
alx.gz [2.12 MiB]
Downloaded 302 times
File comment: modified source
alx-esxi-2.0.0.7.tar [650 KiB]
Downloaded 309 times
Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:13 pm

ok, an update with my latest tries.... I'm thinking of letting this go now, i probably don't have the skills and certainly not the necessary info to figure this one out :-(

i modified the code and simply removed the call to ioremap to directly access the I/O addresses but i have the same issue...
(i did this because from my readings in understood that on x86 platforms the phys IO address is reachable by the kernel without the remapping)

Anyway... that does not work although i have compared the source codes of the sky vmkdriver, alx linux kernel 3.13 driver and alx-2.0.0.6 drivers and they're very similar up until the ioremap call.

obviously the linux kernel 3.13 driver works on linux and claims the card.

So from there on I'm thinking it's some kind of address space issue with the VMKernel but we don't have access to the source (or do we ?) and don't have access to the NICs specs, which means I'm stuck.

So if anyone in the know passes by, I'd love the help...
Too bad the vmkdrivers are providing (approximate) compatibility with so old a kernel !! (2.6.18 was last committed 7 years ago...)

Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:31 am

Hello everyone. I also have a similar motherboard (ASRock H81M-ITX) with the AR8171 NIC.

I have noticed some discussion regarding this in the 8161 thread here: viewtopic.php?p=16259#p16259

Has anyone managed to make it work?

Mon May 26, 2014 12:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]