View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Output Boot Up Logs to Serial Port 

Post Output Boot Up Logs to Serial Port
Hi ppl,

I'm a huge fan of this website, and it did help me out on more than one ocassion... So i do archieve some of the tips in my own blog so I don't lose em... But I think this time I maybe got something I can contribute to this website...

I figured out two options, with which you can redirect the ESXi log output to the Serial Outputs of the VMware Host.

There are two options.
Load up your Viclient / Vsphere and go to

Configuration,
Advanced Settings,
VMKernel,
Boot,
VMkernel.Boot.serialPort

There you can set the number for the serial port you want to use.
default 0 means, no output. i set mine to 1, so i use com1.

Just ok, shutdown the machine, get your serial connection to the com1 and boot up the machine - as soon as the ESXi starts loading, you see the output on the Serial Console Software (Tera Term, Hyperterm, Putty, what you want to use)

So - thats only the Boot Output!

For "normal logging", you need to set this parameter:

Configuration,
Advanced Settings,
Misc,
Misc.SerialPort

Same thing here as above - i didn't try out that option, because I only need Boot up Control. Because I'm preparing an self-replicating ESXi Server System, which does boot first, get up an NFS Server and then starts booting up other Network PCs over PXE as ESXi Servers - with default config on the NFS... So that feature is quite nice to see wheter it is "working", or something went wrong - as these servers won't have an monitor or graphics card or anything.... ^^

By the way, console speed is 11520, but you can set that in these config paths yourself!

Enjoy,

Xeno

Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:27 am

Post Re: Output Boot Up Logs to Serial Port
Hi,

I have a Mother board without VGA connectivity ?
Any idea how I can install ESX 4.0 on the same. I do see that
you have experimented in redirecting the Console outputs to Serial ?

In my casse, I am looking for some command line parameters to be set during VMWARE installation, that can help to direct the console messages to Serrial Port and help me in proceeding with Instllation.

By the way, I have already posted my query in Instllation issues and
Dave replied, it may not be possible. However exploring further as I have no other go and cannot have a VGA connectivity.

Thanx
Duvvuri

Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:09 am

Post Re: Output Boot Up Logs to Serial Port
Hi Duvvuri,

well sadly I haven't tried anything in that way, but I think there could be serval ways to achieve your goal.

1.) Get an PCI Graphics Card. Cheap, old, nice.
Plug it into a pci slot on your Mobo and be happy ;-).

2.) Install Vmware ESXi with the help of another PC on the Harddrive and built it back into your "Headless" one.

3.) Get yourself an ESXi 4 USB bootable thingy, plug it in, boot from that and you're good.

On solution 2 and 3 I would recommend enabling the Serial Port log as I described it and then you even might be able to see the IP which the NIC does fetch (i think if you got another NIC / Chipset in your install Server and your used server, it might kill the settings and setup an new Card with dhcp and therefor you might not be able to log into the server with the ip you had config'd on 2 or 3...)

Should all get you done.

Greetings,

Xeno

Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]