View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 10:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Host Network response flaky and slow 

Post Host Network response flaky and slow
I finally got around to setting up my first host on my whitebox with 2 working Realtek 8111c network cards.

I added the second card to my default vswitch and added a virtual machine network and set up the host (2008 x64)

I got the system up and running and installed the vmware tools, it gets a dhcp address and all seems fine until I try to hit the net or do any networking. It will find my home servers and ping works fine but if I try to connect to a home server I can usually connect to a directory but then get unaccessible errors. Sometimes it just flakes out to start.

Connecting to the web is slow even loading google.com and the icons never load and eventually times out. I can't go to any other sites. I can't connect to Windows Update.

I have tried changing the ip to static in a range that is outside my dhcp and directly going to my router for dns and same results. Ping works fine and the ping results are the same as my other machines. I can ping sending larger packets and the results are fine.

I can't remote desktop connect to the server I get an error "Because of a protocol error at the client (code 0x1204) this session will be disconnected.

The Network card in the VM does show up as Intel Pro 1000 MT. Is this correct? I do have realtek lan cards but I assume that this is the virtualization.

Any help is appreciated.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:34 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Host Network response flaky and slow
A W2K8 VM with use a virtualized Intel Pro 1000 NIC in the VM and it'll have no idea about the underlying hardware. I'd suggest setting up another VM and then trying some VM to VM communication. When 2 VMs are on the same vSwitch, network traffic between them won't go down to the hardware NIC level so it'll essentially not use the realtek NIC.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:35 am

VM - VM works fine. What would you suggest to debug the virtualized RealTek nics. It's probably the translation from vnic to nic and back that is causing the errors. When I hit google, 1/2 of the time I get a "bad request" error back.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:29 am
Site Admin

Have you tried with just a single realtek? Or to put the virtual machine traffic on a single NIC? Do you have both NICs in the same vswitch?

Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:04 am

Yes, I tried a single card only, different vswitches, one nic for the hosts only (no management), etc.

The console works great but RDC doesn't which leads me to believe it is the virtualized driver on the client.

For all of the added support cards, do they still come up as an intel card in teh VM?

Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:40 am
Site Admin

It'll depend on the OS. W2K3 x86 for example will use a VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter so you'll be using another driver other than the e1000.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Any other tips or things to try? I am out of ideas. The cards work but not well. I have 2 intel compatible cards coming today. If those work fine, it has the be the translation of the driver from Vnic to nic and back.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:15 am
Site Admin

No, I think the next best thing would be the NICs that are coming. That'll either confirm or eliminate the NICs as the issue.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:37 am

It's the Realtek Nics. Installed new Intel nics and the vm's work fine. The RealTek 8168/8111c nics are not compatible with Server 2008 X64 vm's (maybe others)

Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:14 pm

Hi,

In a production environment I recommend buying even a e1000/e1000e card. Last time I checked bulk e1000e MT (PCI and PCIe) are < $35(USD)/each. It shouldn't break the bank to badly.

Since the open driver is still relatively new It cannot be recommended for production until it's been fully tested under full and excessive load.

There are already reports of this type of failure with the driver.

I recommend that everyone who uses this driver and finds defects to fill out a bug report so the developers can focus on it right away.

I'll try to have some team members analyze the source as we're part of the project.

- Jason/AcronymLabs

Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next