View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 How to install OpenManage on a Dell PE2650 with ESXi 3.5 

Post How to install OpenManage on a Dell PE2650 with ESXi 3.5
I am relatively new to VMware ESXi and am having a problem setting up ESXi 3.5 on a Dell PowerEdge 2650. VMware installs and runs fine, but I need to get Dell Open Manage tools installed on the host so I can manage the hardware.

I found documentation explaining how to obtain and install a version of Open Manage designed for Red Hat Linux that is said to work on ESXi 3.5, but in the documentation it specifically tells you to check the amount of free space on the root partition of the ESXi server, and make sure you have at least 512MB of free space. I can not find any options anywhere to customize the partition size during install, nor can I figure out any way to change them after install. ESXi 3.5 erases the Dell utility partition (which is a minor annoyance) but doesn’t seem to offer any custom partition sizing options. By default the root partition is very small and only has about 60MB of free space, nowhere near enough for me to load the Open Manage tools.

I have used ESXi 3.5 on this server for quite a while and it seems to work fine but I am concerned that when I start using it for production purposes instead of just a test lab, I will need more control over the hardware, which requires Open Manage. Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:18 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: How to install OpenManage on a Dell PE2650 with ESXi 3.5
I know for ESXi 4.x Dell has a seperate open manage install just for ESXi. For 3.5 I think the components would be found on the Dell ESXi install CD. Have you used that CD or the generic VMware install CD?

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:10 pm

I found a "Dell Customized" version of the ESX install CD a while back, but I am not positive which version of ESXi was on it, and when I tried to boot from that, the server would not boot all the way up. Just like with ESXi version 4, it would start to boot and just hang so I assume this disk has version 4, but could not confirm that. From what I have read, the PowerEdge 2650 is not officially supported by VMware but I know it works so I am hoping to bend the rules a little bit there. Do you know of a link to a Dell customized version of ESXi 3.5 that I could download and try? I did some searching for it online but most of what I am finding refers either to ESX, or to ESXi 4. It seems like the version I need, ESXi 3.5 is the most inflexible when it comes to the partitioning scheme when installing it.

I forgot to answer your actual question... Yes, I used a generic VMware ESXi 3.5 install CD. That one works; installs fine and runs well. I tried a generic VMWare ESXi 4 install CD which won't finish booting, and a Dell Customized ESXi CD (which I think has version 4 but am not sure) and that one also will not boot up all the way.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:38 am
Site Admin

The main factor between 3.5 and 4.x will be the CPU. For 4.x you need a 64 bit CPU. What do you have in your system?

Where does it stop in the install process? Is ESXi loading certain modules or is the problem before that?

Dell ESXi 3.5 U 5 - http://support.us.dell.com/support/down ... eid=369443

Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:29 am

Thank you for the link. I believe the processor architecture is the hurdle I have with trying to load ESXi 4. I am not positive, but it seems that the processor I have is 32 bit. I have two of these servers, one with slightly faster processors but basically the same. Per Dell's website, they are Dell part number Y0274, Processor, 80532K, 2.8GHz, 512K 533. They are Intel Xions. I am fine using v3.5 for now until I get newer hardware.

In addition to your link I also found ESXi 3.5 update 4 for Dell systems by looking up a PE2850, one model step newer than my server. I was able to get that to install, and looking around the console it appears that OpenManage files are on there but I am not sure how to enable it. I don't know for sure if the OpenManage version they packaged with this system will work with my hardware but I would think I should still be able to get to the web interface for it.

After getting the base VMware OS installed and set up, i attempted to go to https://myserversipaddress:1311 which my research tells me should lead me to the OpenManage web interface, and could not see OpenManage. Instead I just get a page can not be displayed error as if nothing is there. I spent quite a while searching Google and reading through the many documents Dell provides on installing and configuring OpenManage, and ESXi, but could find no reference to enabling it as part of the Dell customized install disk. In reading their instructions for manually installed versions, they mention several scripts to run depending on the version, but I could not find these scripts anywhere on my ESXi system. I suspect there is a service that needs to be started or a port that needs to be opened or something, but so far I am not finding anything. Any ideas?

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:39 pm
Site Admin

ESXi with open manage doesn't include the web interface you're used to with Windows for example. You have to add a server component on another host and that communicates with ESXi via CIM - http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s ... pdf/ig.pdf.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]