View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 ESXI 5.x Drivers Part 1: Making a Build Environment 

Post Re: ESXI 5.x Drivers Part 1: Making a Build Environment
Just in case I ever change my dropbox layout...here is a better link to the ESXi Build Environment Setup Script -> http://pastebin.com/V46PcHdZ

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:57 pm

its great, try to create ar8161 driver, step by step... thanks.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:34 am

Here is the updated script I made that sets up the build environment for VMware ESXi 5.0u2. Works on DEB and RPM based distros.

http://pastebin.com/V46PcHdZ

Enjoy!

PS. Download the ESXi open source tarball at:
https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/detail ... RE50U2_OSS

Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:55 pm

Hello,

I'm taking a look at how hard it will be to build the full 'apcupsd' for ESXi 5.5 u1. I think there is a need out there for a native apcupsd server if it will build native. I've seen a build for the apcupsd client for ESXi 5.0 done earlier so I'm thinking this is likely to be possible.

I am using a Ubuntu 12.10 server and using trickstarters notes as a guide along with the patch from falu00 for texinfo to setup it up. I'm still getting everything unspooled and setup. There are some differences between setting up 5.0 and 5.5 which I'm writing up some notes to speed up the next person.

I'm not currently interested in device drivers so much as user space software like the UPS management software I mentioned. Am I on the wrong track using the device driver toolchain for this?

I'm interested in any suggestions or pointers.

Thanks,

Michael

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:32 pm
Profile WWW

The ESXi 5.5 OSD is a very different beast to build. It's going to take a little while to get this built judging from the problems I'm hitting so far. Building Perl for the toolchain had me stopped but I worked around it. I'm pushing through the gcc, binutils and glibc for 32-bit support. I finally had to give up on a unified 64-bit and 32-bit build environment and just build a 32-bit linux to do the 32-bit builds.

I'm up to patch file #8 and still digging apart the toolchain build. I haven't had this much fun in awhile.

Michael

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:29 am
Profile WWW

My little endeavor has taken me down a rabbit hole of patching the heck out of really old gcc versions to compile with newer versions of gcc. I got all the way down to the gcc-3.2.3 and hit the brick wall on getting it to work with a newer bison version when building parts of the parser.

I think I've exhausted getting a modern version of Ubuntu to work with the older toolchain build. I may revisit it but right now I'm building virtual machines of CentOS 5.3 and seeing what a successful build looks like.

I'll share out my patches for the ODP 5.5.0 that got me close to a build in case someone else wants to take a swing at it.

Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:57 am
Profile WWW

I'll look into this myself and see if I can help in any way. I've used the tool chain a lot these past few months...more so for violating drivers.

Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:07 am

Thanks Robert for the feedback. I'm still working on the ESXi 5.5 on Redhat 7.3 32-bit but it doesn't build clean from the default scripts provided.

I got the /build/toolchain/src/common/build-gcc-binutils.sh to complete. So the compiler and base utils are working which was not working earlier in my modern ubuntu 12.04 compiler. I was stuck at gcc 3.2 which builds on this much older system from 2002. So first hurdle is cleared.

The libraries in /build/toolchain/src/common/build-libs.sh have a dependency problem. libtools-2.2 requires automake 1.10 which is built later in the process and isn't installed until even later. I'm going to try re-ordering the build script but if it is a chicken & egg issue then I'll just hack around with a manual build outside the script (and document it) to keep moving.

This seems like something that would happen with an existing build environment that is being updated incrementally so I'm less worried about it being a real problem.

Cheers,

Michael

Update (2014-04-06): Now I remember why I switched from Redhat back in the day, RPM dependency hell is a pain when you don't have 'yum'. Redhat 7.3 is pre-yum, pre-x64 and pre-DVD iso release. 2002 was a long time ago and I'd forgotten how much has improved since then.

I'm still picking away at it but have to get the 2006 automake/autoconf dependencies satisfied in the 2002 Red Hat for libtool 2.2 to build.

Update (2014-04-06 evening): I've got a build that made it all the way through compilation and fails in what looks like some minor issues with permissions for RPM install. I had to repackage autotools/autoconf and some other minor packaging fun. The problem now is being root to install RPMs. I wanted to keep to non-root for the build process so I'm adding some sudo's to the build-libs.sh script now and starting a rebuild.

Update (2014-04-07): The Redhat 7.3 build is done and appears to have worked. I'm moving back through the other old environments now and building towards current. The re-package seems to have worked and I have both RPM and SRPMs for the work.

Cheers,

Michael

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:10 pm
Profile WWW

I just downloaded VMware-ESX-5.5.0u01-ODP.iso. I can't find TROOT anywhere. I see following error when I run build-vmkdrivers.sh.

/home/build/vsphere/vmkdrivers-gpl#

./build-vmkdrivers.sh: 33: ./build-vmkdrivers.sh: /build/toolchain/lin32/gcc-4.4.3-2/bin/x86_64-linux5.0-gcc: not found
./build-vmkdrivers.sh: 34: ./build-vmkdrivers.sh: /build/toolchain/lin32/gcc-4.4.3-2/bin/x86_64-linux5.0-gcc: not found
./build-vmkdrivers.sh: 35: ./build-vmkdrivers.sh: /build/toolchain/lin32/gcc-4.4.3-2/bin/x86_64-linux5.0-gcc: not found
< <<< continues >>>

Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:50 pm

Trickstarter,

Thank you for this excellent tutorial! With it, I was able to create a VIB for my Intel I218-V NIC:

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2410736#2410736

I hope to further use it to build a VIB for my Realtek RTL8111GR NIC as well. Great job.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2