View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 NEC/Renesas USB3 Controller - VMDirectpath M4A89TD Pro/USB3 

Post NEC/Renesas USB3 Controller - VMDirectpath M4A89TD Pro/USB3
In the past i have success with VMDirectpath with the onBoard SATA Controller and a ISDN PCI Card.

Now i try it with the onBord USB3 Controller (NEC/Renesas µPD720200) Controller because i own now a usb3 external hdd. Inside the VM (Win7 64bit) the controller will be recognized the driver installed well but i get an error inside the device manager : " device could not be startet (Code10)".

I testet it with the driver 1.0.19 (from asus homepage) and a new one 2.1.25 i found somewhere on the web. But both with the same bad result.

Anyone any idea what the problem is and if there any solution?

I try it with VMDirectPath because i think it´s now the only way to get USB3 devices connectet to Vms or i´m wrong?

Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:13 am

Post Re: NEC/Renesas USB3 Controller - VMDirectpath M4A89TD Pro/U
It is my understanding that, the way USB works, each physical port is sort of multiplexed to multiple logical controllers. In other words, when you plug a device into a port, if it's a full-speed device, it gets a UHCI controller bus; if it's a high-speed device, it gets an EHCI controller bus, and a 3.0 device gets the XHCI controller bus.

Here's a website that puts it all together:

http://tech.hj60.com/

So, the USB 3.0 passed through port will only work with a USB 3.0 device. If you want to use a slower device, then you have to also pass through the UHCI or EHCI controllers (and in doing so, you'll end up taking many of your physical USB ports with you).

Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]