View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 VMDirectPath & multi-port (dual/ quad) PCIe GBE NICs 

VMDirectPath & multi-port (dual/ quad) PCIe GBE NICs
Question:

Does anyone have any insight as to which multi-port NICs, when utilized with VMDirectPath, allow the passthru of individual 'ports' to different virtual machines, as opposed to passing through the adapter entirely?

I know this requires (possibly) that the adapter itself to 'present' multiple PCIe targets such that ESXi sees them individually, but I'm not sure which adapters can do this.

Traditionally this would probably mean multiple controllers on a single PCB, but I've noticed that Intel has what they're calling VT-c (virtualization technology for connectivity) in some of their multi-port NICs. Not quite sure how this factors in...

Use case is for a virtualized firewall, intended to be 'always on/ low power' and is tentatively planned to be built on a tiny board with limited expansion slots (one for the NIC, one for a crypto-accelerator). Box will also host two other VMs (light asterisk and net services).

Any guidance would be appreciated - thanks in advance.

~trini

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]