View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 1:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 NB Sony VAIO VGN-AR71M, ESXi 5.1 and Marvell 88E805 ( sky2 ) 

Post NB Sony VAIO VGN-AR71M, ESXi 5.1 and Marvell 88E805 ( sky2 )
Hello,
my "old" Sony VAIO VGN-AR71M display has problems but I'm sorry to leave it unused. In this time I need to practice the virtualization server-based. So I have tried installing ESXi 5.1. I am a beginner and I had a hard time especially because the network card is not detected by setup and associated with the sky2 driver, although this is included in the 5.1 setup cd.

I show here the steps and sources that have led me to the positive result.

- Tried the setup of ESXi 5.1 with the VMWARE CD setup. The network card driver is not loaded and setup stops.
- I search on http://www.vm-help.com and discover that the sky2 driver is already on the setup VMWARE 5.1 cd but it doesn't load at the setup because the pci id of the NIC is not specified in the default installation. So I need a customized setup with a VIB file which maps my NIC with the sky2 driver.
- My network card is Marvell 88E8055 PCI IDs 11AB:4363 (discovered by Linux with the command lspci)
- In this post: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3558&p=13787 , Peetz release the vib net-sky2-1-1.1.0.x86_64.vib , to instruct the setup to add the map to the card with PCI ID 11AB: 4364. So I should to change this entry in the VIB, to use it in my case.
- The tool Vmware VIB Author is an RPM for SuSE. I just have an Ubuntu-Debian on my pc. So I haven't used it.
- Googling, I find the following article from Duncan Epping: http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2011/11/29 ... -vib-files. With simple Linux commands you can "dig" a VIB file and update it and this is my case. I work and I get the VIB working, which I attach here.
- I install on my PCWin the excellent ESXi Customizer by Peetz (http://www.v-front.de/p/esxi-customizer.html), which elaborates the updated VIB and the VMWARE Setup Esxi CD, and automatically creates a new customized ISO, that runs perfectly the Esxi 5.1 setup. It loads the card at startup, the installation is completed and the Vaio VGN-AR71M now works perfectly with ESXi 5.1

It may be that I have a long path. Unfortunately the vibs, the oem.tgz and net-sky.V00 that I found, gave me some problems. So I have followed this steps

Thanks to all those who have provided their expertise to get the target.

Bye,
Paolo

Attachments:
net-sky2 vib ver5 88E8055 vib.zip [1.07 KiB]
Downloaded 422 times
Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]