View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 passing through USB 2.0 controller, but appears as USB 1.1 

Post passing through USB 2.0 controller, but appears as USB 1.1
Hi,

I am using ESXi 4.1 with a SuperMicro X8SIL-F motherboard. I installed ESXi on a flash drive connected to the internal USB controller of the motherboard. I have tried adding two different controllers (separately as a test). The first was a PCI USB controller with NEC chipset, the second is the one on the VMDirectPath compatibility list - PCIe StarTech PEXUSB4DP that has a VIA chipset. Both cards are USB 2.0 cards, but when I add the PCI device to my Windows XP VM, they are seen as USB 1.1 controllers and work at 1.1 speeds. Each card is supported in XP with the Microsoft drivers.

I thought the PCI passthrough of the controllers would give me full USB 2.0 speed of the card on the VM? Is there something I am missing?

My ultimate goal is to add an HD-PVR USB tuner to a virtual MythTv machine. So far I am not very successful with this configuration.

Thanks for any help!

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:27 am
Site Admin

Post Re: passing through USB 2.0 controller, but appears as USB 1
It should function at the speed of device. ESXi native USB passthrough should not play a part in this as you're passthrough the entire device. But even ESXi USB passthrough supports USB 1.1 and 2.0 in ESXi 4.1.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:46 am

Here is a screen shot of my passthrough configuration window. I don't know why this card is recognized as 1.1 controllers, but then at the bottom (third line) it says a USB 2.0 controller. Again, this the PCIe StarTech PEXUSB4DP card. I would try other cards, but my server is a 2U box and I need low profile cards which I don't have, except for the two I just tested.

Attachments:
File comment: screenshot
usbpass.jpg
usbpass.jpg [ 138.86 KiB | Viewed 4567 times ]
Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:54 pm
Site Admin

Have you been able to test it with another OS to confirm that all 4 ports are USB 2?

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:17 pm

The first card, the PCI card, I did put into another machine to test. It was recognized and performed as USB 2.0. I have not had a chance to pull the PCIe card out and test it on another machine, but I would expect the same results. Thanks for your help.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi Drake,

In a ESX 5.0 host I have a Windows Guest with a dual DVB-T tuner connected over USB to the host without troubles! ;)

The limited bandwidth of the "virtual" USB port supported by the Hypervisor is sufficient to drive the tuner.

If you like to improve the USB performance a little bit set "IRQ#Pritority" to "1" of the USB "virtual device" in the registry of the Windows guest (at "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl]").

Regards!

Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]