View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Struggling with getting my Highpoint RAID passing through 

Post Struggling with getting my Highpoint RAID passing through
This is my first attempt at using VMDirectPath and the site here has been a great resource.

I have an Intel DX58OG mobo and believe it and ESXi 4.1 are setup corectly for VMDirectPath. I think this because I've managed to assign and use USB and HD auidio devices into Win08R2 and Win7 guests.

I'm now at the serious end of things where I'm trying to setup my Highpoint RAID card to the Win08R2 guest for its RAID5 data drive. The boot drive is on a VMFS store. I can't get it to work.

I have tried to add the devices to both a Win08R2 and Win7 guest (one at a time of course) and neither want to show the device. All I get is an unknown base device that does not have the correct IDs to allow the Highpoint drivers to load. I have tried adding the 6:00 and the 7:00 and the 4:00 devices both individually and as a group. The base device shows up when the 4:00 device is added to the guest.

Any thoughts on what I should be looking for next would be most appreciated.

Attachments:
vmdirectpath.jpg
vmdirectpath.jpg [ 174.3 KiB | Viewed 6968 times ]
Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:03 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Struggling with getting my Highpoint RAID passing throug
What model of controller are you trying to use?

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:35 pm

Highpoint Rocket Raid 640

My current path of investigation is taking me down trying to disable the option ROM on the RocketRaid from the DX58OG BIOS - still struggling here, not sure if its a dead end yet.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:39 am
Site Admin

Do you have two of them in the server?

Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:02 am

No, just the one PCIe x4 card.

Thanks for your thoughts and questions, as always they prompt thought locally.

I'm almost ready to give up on this piece of ...... card. I ended up installing Win7 x64 on another boot drive in this new machine (as a test) The RocketRaid card doesn't load properly there either! I couldn't get it to run. I installed the new Highpoint driver version and it killed Windows. As such, I think trying to pass it through would be a big ask. In short very unimpressed.

At present I am seeking a return to the shop and will look to go with an Adaptec or Intel PCIe SATA card with at least 4 ports that supports RAID 5.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:38 am
Site Admin

The odd thing about this card is that it seems to be almost 2 distinct PCI devices. When I look at the same screen for one of my hosts the LSI based adapter is a single PCI-e device. I've been able to pass it into a VM no problem, especially given that it is PCI-e and not on a shared bus.

If I wanted to passthrough the Matrix video card or Intel NICs, that would be a problem as I would have to commit all three devices on that shared PCI bus.

Attachments:
8-20-2011 1-05-53 PM.jpg
8-20-2011 1-05-53 PM.jpg [ 135.38 KiB | Viewed 6940 times ]

Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:10 pm

Agreed. The dual PCIe thing is wierd. Definately seeking a return on this card!

I know the board, etc are working just fine. THis morning I dropped in an

Addonics AD2SA3GPX1 - 2 port SATA II
Its a SI 3132 inside

I passed it through to a Win 7 x64 Ultimate guest with its standard drivers that came on the CD. Got to my two BluRay connected drives all OK.

I then tried AnyDVDHD software and managed to kill ESXi. Added pciPassthru0.msiEnabled = "FALSE" and its running just fine with two tests so far - more to come.

As for the RAID card to passthru to my Win08R2 guest - off to pursue that one!

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:47 pm

I posted about this card in another thread, but I thought I would bring some closure here as well.

This card is indeed two distinct PCI-e SATA controllers (Marvell 88SE9128) on one card, using a PLX 8-lane PCI-e switch to connect them.

The PCI Switch takes 4 lanes from the PCI-e bus on the board, and switches two lanes each to the 88SE9128 ICs (hence the 8-lane switch).

What is interesting about this card is that they break out the I2C port on the NXP LPC-series 8051 controller, which is presumably used to configure the switch and possibly the SATA controllers. I just happen to have extensive experience developing for the LPC series 8051 controllers, and still have my complete toolchain, so one of these I'll get around to grabbing the firmware out of it to see what it does. The LPC cannot use the I2C port for programming, so it must have some other purpose.

I also have an ASUS motherboard (P6X58D-E) with this same SATA controller on it, and have never been able to successfully get it passed through, even without the switch in the way. The Guest O/S can see the controller, but not any of the devices connected to it.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]