View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Board suggestion please 

Post Board suggestion please
I'm on my 3rd board upgrade and yet to get a working combo for my Digium tdm400.

My first foray into the VM world was with a Pentium D on a Asus P5WD2-E-Premium. No success on passthrough.

My current running system is a Q6600 on a Asus P5KC and it doesn't work either.

I have sitting in test currently a Gigabyte 870A-UD3 board with a AMD 1055T cpu and with current testing it doesn't look like this configuration is going to allow pci passthrough either.

The boards don't need to support raid and ethernet natively as these are taken care of by a dual port Intel Pro 1000 card and a Dell Perc 5i/r.

Does anyone here have any thoughts on working configurations that pci passthrough will work on that won't break the bank???

Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:20 am

Post Re: Board suggestion please
Iv got an GA-990XA-UD3 on order, using the same CPU you got, should be here tomorrow, but iv got high hopes for this one, since the BIOS images iv found actually have an IOMMU option :)

Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:58 am

Post Re: Board suggestion please
Depends on how much else you want to replace.

As fluxboxuk noted, the 990FX supports IOMMU - whether the board manufacturers enable and support it are another story. I got burnt with a 890FX board though, which the manufacturer noted supports IOMMU on the spec page, but it was half-baked and BIOS updates are slow in coming.

If you're up for a new CPU to go with the board, I'd suggest the Intel S3420GPLC. I'm currently running it, and have tested passthru for both PCIe (HBAs) and PCI (GigE NICs) to VMs, and it works perfectly. Bonus, it also supports ECC RAM and has 2 Intel NICs onboard supported by ESXi OOTB.

I grabbed it for US$175, including shipping.

~trini

Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]