View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 PCI Passthrough - BioStar TA890FXE & Sil3132 
Site Admin

Post Re: PCI Passthrough - BioStar TA890FXE & Sil3132
Essentially the VM should see the controller (as it really is), and load a driver for it. Anything attached to it shouldn't be a problem.

Does the adapter show as running OK in Windows?

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:37 am

Yes, Windows 7 shows it as a Sil3132, but nothing is attached. For instance in Windows 7, not running through ESXi, the Sil3132 is there (same driver as when in ESXi), but it shows 4 drives attached to it in Drive Manager. But in Win 7 ESXi, it only shows the Sil3132.

Son of a gun, something just occurred to me! Could an external drive bay even work in ESXi? Essentially the external drive bay has it's on chip in it... a Sil3726 I think. So even though the Sil3132 is passing through, there's another device beyond that. Following that logic, would ANY external drive bay work in ESXi being passed through? Because you can never pass through the actually External Drive Bay, because it never shows in ESXi as a device.

CRUD!!! I guess that answers the external drive bay, but what about the Marvel 9120 chip? That's a 2 sata port chip. I see it in ESXi and set it to passthrough, but no drives show up in Windows 7 or unRaid. In Win 7 I don't even see it as a device in device manager, even though it's set to passthrough.

Interesting note: ESXi v 4.1 shows the Marvel as an unknown device on the PCI bus. ESXi 4.1 U1 properly shows it as a Marvel 9120.

EDIT: here is the chip in the external drive bay. it specifically says no driver required... hmm..

http://www.siliconimage.com/products/pr ... spx?pid=26

Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:03 am

In general any board using AMD's 890FX chipset can support IOMMU. At that point it's up to the motherboard vendor on bios-level support for the functionality.

Wed May 11, 2011 9:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2