View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 VMDirectPath - not selecting the boot usb 

Post VMDirectPath - not selecting the boot usb
I have the vmdirectpath looking like this:
http://communities.vmware.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/1314938-25748/SHowusb.PNG

and now wonder which one to select, I just do not want to pick the usb port on which the usb flash for boot is plugged in.

Is there a way of checking it like in command prompt or somewhere to get a list of not connected USBs?

Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:14 am
Site Admin

Post Re: VMDirectPath - not selecting the boot usb
ESXi doesn't treat a USB device like a normal SCSI device so you can't for example get the dependent device from esxcfg-info -h as you can for other SCSI controllers. I'll try to take another look at it later today.

If you do select a controller and have a problem you can use this process to fix it - http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/VMDirectP ... sable_boot

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:24 am

Actually I did just now find a way of detecting which one to select.

I checked /var/log/messages immediately after I plugged the mouse into server's USB port - and it did actually log it.

In my case using Supermicro X8DTI-F the back two ports showed as 00:1d.0-1 and 00:1d.0-2 after pluging the mouse in each one.

This was easy to find in ESXI passthrough menu then (00:1d.0) and this is the way I found which one to actually select.

I did not find out which one is used for boot... I beleive it could have been the same, but not very probably.

Since the mouse was plugged in I tried it in the XP guest I have for test, and it did not move the cursor, but clicking the mouse worked.
I also tried HP usb laser printer and it did print normally, so this actually does work!

Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:20 pm
Site Admin

tarz wrote:
I checked /var/log/messages immediately after I plugged the mouse into server's USB port - and it did actually log it.

Nice find.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:52 pm

Had similar experience with a bluetooth mouse (through a USB Bluetooth dongle connected to a directpath USB port) not working in a Windows 7 guest.

Found that after removing the VMware PS/2 mouse driver and rebooting the system that the mouse now works correctly.

Also mapped the onboard audio controller as a Directpath device. The audio quality is unfortunately very bad (lots of hissing).

Tomorrow my new graphics card should come in which I plan to also map to this host. Hopefully I can then run the system both as a VMware host and as a normal windows7 desktop at the same time.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:59 pm
Site Admin

Keep in mind that you'll only be able to passthrough 2 PCI devices. I had tried with graphics card and had limited sucess. It seemed to work fine as a secondary display but not as a primary. Keep up updated with how you make out.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:45 pm

The graphics card actually works very well. Under windows7 you can set the extra adapter as your primary display. Somewhere during the startup process the output then switches from the VMware "display" to the VMDirectPath video card attached display.

Only problem I have is that if the virtual PC goes into Suspend mode I cannot get it back online with the VMDirectath mapped mouse/keyboard.

The graphics card I'm using is a Sapphire Radeon 4550 512MB/PCI-Ex16.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:32 am

ejsinke wrote:
The graphics card actually works very well. Under windows7 you can set the extra adapter as your primary display. Somewhere during the startup process the output then switches from the VMware "display" to the VMDirectPath video card attached display.

Only problem I have is that if the virtual PC goes into Suspend mode I cannot get it back online with the VMDirectath mapped mouse/keyboard.

The graphics card I'm using is a Sapphire Radeon 4550 512MB/PCI-Ex16.

Hi,
I know this is an old post but maybe you are still around.
I try to setup a VMDirectpath to a GV-R435OC-512I (Radeon HD 4350). In the ESXi 4.1 configuration all looks good. In the virtual machine running Windows XP I can install the drivers from ATI and it all looks OK in the device manager. When I try to extend the display to the ATI card or change the primary video adapter to the ATI card I get a BSOD saying that ATI2DVAG has crashed. Do yo have any suggestions for me? (I used the latest ATI drivers, also I disabled hardware acceleration and write combining).
Thank You!

Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]