ASRock X58 Extreme with Radeon HD 4850 X2 works
Running latest ESXi 4.1 with two Windows 7 64-bit clients:
- MB: ASRock X58 Extreme
- CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3,8GHz
- RAM 12GB (3x Kingston 1600MHz non ECC 4GB)
- ESXi drive: 8GB USB stick
- NIC: Realtek RTL8111DL (onboard with custom drivers)
- First client Windows drive: OCZ Vertex 30GB @ ICH10R
- Second client Windows drive: WD Raptor 74GB @ ICH10R
- Graphic adapter: Sapphire (ATI) Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB (dual GPU card with onboard PCIe bridge chip) (passthrough)
- Graphic adapter: Gigabyte (ATI) Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (passthrough)
- Audio adapter: Bgears b-Enspirer (PCI) (passthrough)
- USB: Two ports passed on to each Windows installation
- Running one GPU maximum RAM for Windows to run is 2816MB.
- Running two in the same client maximum RAM is 2304MB.
- Running all three in the same client maximum RAM is 1792MB.
- CrossfireX works when running both GPU's on the 4850 X2 in the same client.
- I can assign and use each gpu on the 4850 X2 in separate Windows clients.
- HDMI sound works on both 4850 X2 GPU's, not tested on the 2600 XT.
- The original Windows driver for the 4850 X2 gives blue screen at boot, have to boot in safe mode and disable the adapters, reeboot and then install AMD Catalyst drivers.
- Looks like DXVA does not work on the 4850 X2, not tested on the 2600 XT.
Also found working with passthrough:
- SAS-controller: Fujitsu D2607 (LSISAS2008 based)
- Graphic adapter: Asus (ATI) Radeon X800 XT 256MB (PCIe)
- Storage controller: onboard VIA ATA133 controller
Found not to work with passthrough:
- Audio adapter: onboard (Windows freezes at boot)
- Graphic adapter: Leadtek (NVIDIA) GeForce 6200 TC 64MB (PCIe) ("This device cannot start")
- 1394 controller: onboard VIA ("This device cannot start")