View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 RAID and SSD 

Post RAID and SSD
Not sure if this is the right location, but I have a question about RAID and SSD. I want to use the LSI MegaRAID 9260 or 9261 (which is included on the vmware HCL) and I want to use (8) SSD drives (SATA III) in a RAID 6.

As far as the SSD, I was looking at OCZ, Kingston or Plextor. My question is what ssd controller, i.e. Sandforce or Marvell will work better? OCZ uses Sandforce which has awsome read/write/IOPS but uses compression. Will that effect VM performance, or will it even work?? Plextor uses Marvell controller, which has less IOPS but doesn't use compression and I think is more stable based on the articles I read.

In short, I use the OCZ Vertex 3 in my Windows 7 machine (with latest firmware) and love it. But will it work in a RAID config on the LSI Raid controller, and in VMWare? Don't want to spend 5 Grand on hardware, and findout it doesn't work.

Also FYI, I plan on using the TYA S8226 motherboard, Kingston ECC RAM, and dual AMD Operon 4180 (6c 2.6ghz) processor, all which are on the VMWare HCL.

Any sugestsions/help from people that have personally used SSD/RAID in VMware would be appricated. Thanks.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]