View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 VMDirectPath and eSATA hotplug 

Post VMDirectPath and eSATA hotplug
Hi all,

First off, what a great message board. I'm new to ESXi, but have already learned so much!

I'm trying to set up a removable eSATA drive for backup purposes, connected to a Win2k8 VM. After setting up an RDM via the instructions on this site, I soon realized it wouldn't fit my needs, as it requires shutting down the VM to remove the drive.

So, I made the SATA controller available via VMDirectPath (main datastores are on a Perc controller). Everything looks good, until I try ejecting the disk. The disk ejects, and seconds later the disk remounts. I've tried setting the disk to "offline" first via disk manager, but no luck. I can set the disk as offline and then just unplug it, but that doesn't seem like a very friendly way to handle things, and I'd like to keep this system somewhat stable!

Any ideas why the disk is automatically reconnecting, and any way I can stop this from happening?

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:09 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: VMDirectPath and eSATA hotplug
Perhaps this will help - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 7cd958d84/.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:22 pm

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, disabling automount didn't work, as the drive was still available at the hardware level. Your suggestion did get me to look in the right direction though: I ended up using DevCon to uninstall the drive from the device manager, which (at least in theory) puts it in a state suitable for removal. If the drive is in use, DevCon will note that a reboot is required.

I tested this out several times, and it seems to work like I need it to, so thanks again for pointing me in the right direction :)

Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:16 pm

Strike that above post, I found a better solution, which doesn't involve any hacks: Installing the latest Intel storage drivers for the board. Doh! Guessing I would've run into the same issue even if this weren't a VM.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]