View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 GA-78LMT-S2P bios wont detect 4.1 USB install, Unetbootin ok 

Post GA-78LMT-S2P bios wont detect 4.1 USB install, Unetbootin ok
ESXI 4.1 U1
CPU: AMD Phenom II 840
Motherboard: GA-GA-78LMT-S2P
NIC: Intel Pro/1000 GT
Media: HP v125w 8gb USB (for ESXI)

I have installed ESXI 4.1 from CD to a HP 8gb USB flash drive. Upon reboot, the thumb drive is not detected as a bootable drive (does not show in boot menu).

Prior to installing, I attempted to do a USB installer to USB boot flash drive. I used Unetbootin to load the ESXI 4.1 to the USB. I then inserted the USB and rebooted my server. Upon boot, F12 was hit to enter the bios Boot Menu, then "+ Hard Drive", then I selected my flash drive created by Unetbootin.

Fast forward.
I ended up installing from a CDROM to the HP USB flash drive with no problem. I then rebooted my machine, as instructed, then hit F12 to enter the Boot Manager. To my surprise, the USB did not show up under "+ Hard Drive" option.

Analysis
I compared the two USB drives in GParted and both phyically look the same, Volumes/Partitions. The only difference (besides total size of the drive) was that the installed ESXi USB had the first partition (sdb4 - Hypervisor0) flagged as 'boot', while the ESXi Installer USB created by Unetbootin had the second partition (sdb1 Extended) marked as 'boot'.

I tried switching the boot flag, but it made no difference on installed USB.
I also tried to use 'Plop Boot manager' files, but it did not work either.

Another side note. When I tried to install from a USB, I initially used mkesxiaio/ to create a custom ISO, then load it directly to the USB. This method also made the USB not show up in the boot menu. Not until I used Unetbootin, did it show up in the boot menu.

My thought is that there is nothing wrong with the USBs as I can boot from them fine from another computer (this dell laptop). I get my USB ESXI intaller to boot and I can get my installed ESXI USB to boot. Of course it's on my unsupported Gigabyte motherboard I am having problems :)

So my problem is that Unetbootin created bootable USBs show up in my bios Boot Menu, however a USB with ESXI installed onto it will not show up in my bios boot menu.

Has anyone else had this problem or found a fix?

Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:43 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: GA-78LMT-S2P bios wont detect 4.1 USB install, Unetbooti
See if this helps - http://doomdogus.wordpress.com/2009/10/ ... herboards/.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:29 am

Post Re: GA-78LMT-S2P bios wont detect 4.1 USB install, Unetbooti
Thanks, but did not work.

I tried this to reorder partition 4 and 1. But it is still not found by the bios.

Just for kicks, I set the flag from the small partition that has the syslinux.cfg partition to the extended partition (like the unetbootin created usb haves it) and now it shows up in the boot menu, but does not boot.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]