View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Identical ESXi 4.1 Host MAC address issue 

Post Identical ESXi 4.1 Host MAC address issue
Hi Guys,

I use the dell optiplex 990 as my esxi host. But unfortunately, the on-board network card (Intel 82579LM) is not supported at the present by vmware. So I used a workaround to bypass the network card issue. I move the harddisk on my new machine and installed on another PC on which the network card is supported by vmware. I installed esxi successfully on the supported machine and then moved the harddisk back to my new machine. Then I repeated this on another machine. Now all the esxi are up and running on my two new machines. But I found one important issue that I cannot put the two machines on the same LAN cause the MAC address of them are identical. But i need to copy the VM on one machines to another to make a backup. And i am using Veeam Backup solution. I think this may cause the failure of Veeam backup.

Details around the workaround that I use to bypass the network card issue you can find here:
http://billyfung2010.blogspot.com/2011/ ... board.html

BTW, do you guys know how to change the MAC address of the esxi host ? I tried to use ifconfig command but it doesn’t work. It seems that esxi doesn’t support this command.
Any advice?

Thx,
Ji

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:01 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Identical ESXi 4.1 Host MAC address issue
The virtual management port that is created uses the MAC of the NIC that it detects as VMNIC0.

You can manually edit /etc/vmware/esx.conf or just add a new management port and delete the old one.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:38 pm

Post Re: Identical ESXi 4.1 Host MAC address issue
Dave,

Thanks a lot for your soltuion.

Ji

Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]