View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Asus P8P67 AHCI Cougar Point 82P67 Driver 

Post Re: Asus P8P67 AHCI Cougar Point 82P67 Driver
Robert, thanks for the thoughts.

In my particular application, I plan on making an all-in-one ESX host that will house every one of my servers at home. I plan on installing a mirror raid pair (real hardware controller) just to bootstrap this server... what I mean by this is that it will hold the ESX installation and the VM files for the basic server operating system installations.

The first server that will boot up is the SAN server (still deciding on Open Filer, FreeNas, Nexentia, etc). A lot of these San/NAS servers are able to do software raid as good if not better than hardware controllers (for example ZFS file system). So I will have several other disks in this server that I want to "present" to the SAN/NAS vm for it to manage and create vitualized storage available to the other VMs and devices on my network. If I can do this straight through basic ESX features, then I'll skip the requirment for VT-d.

Thoughts?

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:23 pm

TC1 :
I guess that configuration can be done, but I see no big advantages for that. The software raid on the first vm will eat up a considarable amount of cpu power (especially for raid5) , and the (lan?)interface to the other vm-machines is also slow I guess. In Your case my first guess would be to use a good 8-channel (3Ware9750-8i) HW Raid controller.
It depends what You want - if You want to test / play around with NAS/SAN Software and probably VM-failover, VM-Move etc. (what makes only educational sense on one machine), then You might need the Software SAN as You planned.
If You just need to run a number of VM´s on Your Server I guess the HW Raid controller will be the better choice for good disk performance. (And I see no disadvantages in that kind of configuration)
yours sincerely
Robert/Vienna

Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:10 am

Your points are well taken.

So let's say I stick with a seperate hardware RAID controller for the SAN/NAS disks... do I let ESX manage the disks through the controller and present one or more LUNs to the SAN/NAS vm? Or do I somehow pass through the raid controller to the SAN/NAS vm and let it manage and create the LUNs, logical disk, etc?

Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:41 pm

TC1 - weired ;-)
If You have a hw raid controller, You dont need the SAN/NAS VM.
Why You want to add another layer ?
Let ESXi use the Raid Controller exclusively (that is direct anyway) - and ESXi will provide the storage to the Vms.
KISS (Keep it Simple and Stupid)
every extra Layer will degrade performance.
if you want to play around with the Nas Software You can still do it - inside another VM.

My suggestion was :
VM1 -<fast>-I-> Esxi -<fast>-> Controller -<fast>-> Hdd
VM2 -<fast>-I
VM3 -<fast>-I

You want to do like that (add another NAS VM Layer) :
the NAS VM will consume Memory and CPU Performance.
VM1 -<?>-I-> NAS VM -<fast>-> Esxi -<fast>-> Controller -<fast>-> Hdd
VM2 -<?>-I
VM3 -<?>-I

or with VT-d :
the NAS VM will consume memory and CPU Performance
You need a second Controller and HDD to boot the NAS-VM
VM1 -<?>-I-> Nas VM -<vt-d-fast>-I-> Controller(exclusively for NAS-vm)
VM2 -<?>-I
VM3 -<?>-I
note that in that configuration VM2 and VM3 needs to boot from the second controller and after that can connect to the Nas VM, because probably the Nas Volumes can not be accessed from ESXi (not sure on that)

yours sincerely
Robert / Vienna

Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:33 am

FYI, appears to be a flaw in the current Cougar Point chipset:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/intel-hit ... lout/44257

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:10 am

Just wondering if ESXi 4.1 update 1 added support for Sandy Bridge?

Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:26 pm

Hi.

First post here,....

No, Update 1 has not added support.

I've got a Sandy Bridge system here and I got the onboard Realtek 8111 driver working with the Howto and Download from this site, but onboard storage is not detected in neither AHCI nor IDE mode.

Will try to get the stuff working and will post an update if successful.

sysfried

Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:02 am

Very interesting discover :shock:
AHCI of P67 chipset is correctly started if you set RAID in the BIOS SATA configuration. It is recognized as [8086:2822]
I got ESXI 4.1u1 working in this config:
- Asus P8P67 + I5-2500
- 16GB DDR3 1333mhz
- 1 SATA disk 1.5TB Barracuda LP (just for test)
- Realtek 8168 [10ec:8168] driver
- Intel 1000/PT Dual port PCI-X card.

Ciao
Dome

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:08 am

Dome - great discovery. Seems insane that this works. I can report it works exactly in this same fashion on the Shuttle SH67H3 P67 SATA controller as well. No RAID configuration is necessary, just enable it, and SATA port devices will show up as storage devices. I have my datastore operating on one now.

I'm still unclear how to refer to the SATA controllers in these Cougar Point chipsets - I believe it is P67 built-in, but still having trouble clarifying this. I see some mention of RST (Intel Rapid Storage Technology) and Extreme6 or Extreme 6, although Rapid Storage seems to be a supplementary optional technology, and I'm not clear Extreme 6 actually refers to the SATA controller.

Wed May 25, 2011 6:15 am

JimBob wrote:
Dome - great discovery.

I second this motion! 8-) After my earlier post I caught this thread, and yes changing the onboard SATA controllers to RAID mode on an ASUS P8H67-I also makes the existing SATA drives visible as datastore targets. Thanks for this simple fix Dome!

Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2