View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 r8169 Driver "Works" 

Post Re: r8169 Driver "Works"
I actually extracted it from an existing oem.tgz file that contained that particular driver - it was one that I put on the Hypervisor1 partition (before this) and the system didn't pick it up... Not having built an oem.tgz file before would it be worth attempting to rectify the existing one?

I'm working with an 8111c/d chip on the board (that driver was officially for an r8169).

Sat May 15, 2010 11:39 pm
Site Admin

Have you checked that the simple.map file includes a PCI id for your specific device?

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Sat May 15, 2010 11:48 pm

that file has contained in its internal structure the simple.map file containing a reference line to the driver:

10ec:8167 0000:0000 network r8169.o
10ec:8168 0000:0000 network r8169.o
10ec:8169 0000:0000 network r8169.o

It's contained in what seems to be a pretty typical structure of etc/vmware

I ran the manual addition at the console and the lspci -v command is showing the PCI ID to be 10ec:8168 (it's adding it as vmnic32). I transferred the oem.tgz file back with Slax and put it on the Hypervisor1 partition again - I noticed that the system is showing two sets of the "Hypervisor" partitions so I copied the file to both but it's still not making the NIC available upon reboot, it's as if the system is refusing to use the file or simply isn't seeing the NIC from the file, I'm a bit stumped.

Sun May 16, 2010 12:03 am
Site Admin

How's it going with this? Since you have a working NIC you could transfer it when ESXi is running and just copy the file (is it called oem.tgz) to /bootbank.

Mon May 17, 2010 2:59 pm

Thanks Dave, I've not heard of /bootbank before - I was attempting to copy it to the vmfs sub-directory share and no changes were sticking for some reason. This reference to /bootbank seems to permit changes that seem to survive the reboot though.

I just copied it over using the method you recommend and it seems to have retained the file which I was very surprised by; is it possible that my other method wasn't getting to the Hypervisor1 area correctly? If you do this from initial setup (for example if you don't have a supported NIC on startup) would it be more advisable to use the /bootbank reference instead?

To clarify for any other noobz out there like myself, to enable the 2nd onboard adapter after running with a single supported NIC I simply:

1. Copied the oem.tgz file to an existing system which had an SSH server on it (in my case it was a guest VM machine which an SSH server on this VM host)
2. logged into the VM’s console as root
3. used cd /bootbank to get to the right share
4. noticed that the existing oem.tgz file was the nearly blank shipping file (I’d previously copied the oem.tgz file to the two Hypervisor1 partitions seemingly without success)
5. copied the existing oem.tgz file to oem.tgz1 to back it up (cp oem.tgz oem.tgz1)
6. removed the oem.tgz file (rm oem.tgz)
7. SCP’d the file in from the other host (scp user@ipaddress:oem.tgz ./)
8. checked the attributes (ls –l) and found it to be the same as all the other files (RW for only the root user)
9. exited
10. restarted the host

Interesting now it is appearing as vmnic0 (it was vmnic32 before). I’m going to try it out now and see how it operates (I’m playing with iSCSI targets).

Thanks very much for your guidance, it’s been very revealing to understand how everything fits together; this has been an exercise worth far more than just getting the NIC to work! Now if only I could figure out how to get my UPS’s USB cable to work…

Mon May 17, 2010 8:30 pm
Site Admin

Had you ever patched ESXi? With a fresh install Hypervisor1 is mounted as /bootbank and Hypervisor2 as /altbootbank. When you patch ESXi the new version is placed in /altbootbank and it becomes /bootbank when you restart.

Mon May 17, 2010 8:49 pm

I've only ever applied the patches via the "vSphere Host Update Utility 4.0" facility that's installed with the vSphere client - I presume this method uses a mechanism that does this for me?

The thing that had me stumped was the non-persistence of changes in the configuration; your reference to the /bootbank overcame this issue of the non-persistence that I was having in the console, I’m presuming this correctly reference a properly writable area rather than the method I used before.

If I'm looking to add other drivers (thinking forward to the USB UPS control) could I be looking to employ a similar method to this one?

Mon May 17, 2010 8:55 pm
Site Admin

If you're adding UPS software into ESXi you'll do it in a similar method. Youu can create another tgz file and then edit the boot statement to include it as well (or you can just expand oem.tgz - your choice).

You may find it easier to run UPS software in a VM and then have it initiate the shutdown of ESXi.

Tue May 18, 2010 11:32 pm

Has anyone compiled the most recent RTL8111 / RTL8168 driver for ESXi 4 based off version 8.018.00? It seems that this version helps loss of connection issues in ubuntu (up to, and including, ubuntu 10.04), so I'm thinking it may also help some of the connectivity problems others have been having with ESXi 4.

The most recent pre-compiled RTL8111 ESXi driver I can find is 8.014.00. If anyone has a link to an 8.018.00 one, it would be appreciated.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:49 pm

Has anyone else noticed that although the driver downloaded from this thread appears to work correctly and reports itself as running at gigabit speed, it is actually running at 100 mb/full duplex? I was wondering why some of my esxi machines were transferring slowly to/from the NAS... When I look in esxi Vsphere Client, it says the NIC is running 1000mb FD. When I log onto the managed switch to which they are attached, every one of the machines using this driver (r8169.o file size 74029 dated July 29) is actually running 100mb FD. All the other esxi machines are running 1000mb FD.

Has anyone encountered this, and if so, has anyone fixed the bug? It takes forever to move a 500gb VM at 100mb...

Thanks in advance.

Norm

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next