View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 r8169 Driver "Works" 
Site Admin

Post Re: r8169 Driver "Works"
[quote="guybrush"]
To make it persist, I created a directory on the local store with the path /vmfs/volumes/(datastore)/foo/, untarred the SSH_FTP_oem.tgz into foo/, cd'd into foo, mucked about a bit to take out the FTP side, copied the module into usr/lib/vmware/mkmod under foo, ran tar cvzf /bootbank/oem.tgz * and it stuck.
quote]

Would you be able to post your oem.tgz file?

Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:04 pm

Dave.Mishchenko wrote:
guybrush wrote:
To make it persist, I created a directory on the local store with the path /vmfs/volumes/(datastore)/foo/, untarred the SSH_FTP_oem.tgz into foo/, cd'd into foo, mucked about a bit to take out the FTP side, copied the module into usr/lib/vmware/mkmod under foo, ran tar cvzf /bootbank/oem.tgz * and it stuck.

It would be really appreciated :)

Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:08 pm

stefa.rossi wrote:
Sorry but... how to create the oem.tgz file from the files provided from geobrush?

I tried to build it (using Ubuntu), but it gave me this output:
Code:
[b]./build-vmkdrivers.sh[/b]
gcc: vmkdrivers/src26/drivers/net/r8169/r8169.c: Nessun file o directory
gcc: no input files
gcc: vmkdrivers/src26/common/vmklinux_module.c: Nessun file o directory
gcc: no input files
ld: bora/build/scons/build/vmkdriver-r8169.o/release/vmkernel64/SUBDIRS/vmkdrivers/src26/drivers/net/r8169/r8169.o: No such file: No such file or directory
All done

It created the folders bora/build/scons/build/vmkdriver-r8169.o/release/vmkernel64/SUBDIRS/vmkdrivers/src26/drivers/net/r8169, but they're empty.

Any suggestion?

To compile this module, you need to have the Open Source Driver tarball from VMWare (obtainable here.

untgz the tarball into a directory (preferably not . ) IGNORE THE RPMs. Do not install them. Do not fiddle with them. They will cause you to go sterile, especially the kernel source.

Go into the directory you extracted the tarball into and find the tgz named vmkdrivers-gpl.tgz. This tarball has the source and includes for ESX(i) 4 modules. Move this tgz file out of the directory and into your ~.

Whack the directory with the RPMs, as you will not need them. Yes, you will not need the kernel source RPM included with the tarballs.

untgz the vmkdrivers-gpl.tgz and wander into the resulting directory.

Now create the path for the module you are trying to compile, for this instance we will need to use mkdir -p vmkdrivers/src26/drivers/net/r8169

Copy the r8169.c file into that directory.

Move the build-vmkdrivers.sh to another filename, build-vmkdrivers.sh-orig or something like that. Copy the included sh file into its place.

Run the build-vmkdrivers.sh. You will see warnings, but hopefully not errors. After the dust settles, you will find the module you need in bora/build/scons/build/vmkdriver-<MODULE>/release/vmkernel64/

Do not go into the SUBDIR folders, these are staging areas for object files related to the module linking. You /will/ find an .o file in there, but as there are other object files required for the module to function properly; you will spend days trying to figure out why the module you carefully cobbled together module turns into post-consumer dinner when you try to load it.

If you do not find a .o file in the above directory, the compile failed. If you do find a .o file in the directory, it compiled. You will have to copy the .o file to an ESX box to test and see if it works.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:28 pm

Dave.Mishchenko wrote:
guybrush wrote:
quote]

Sure! The contents of the tarfile are as follows:
Code:
bin/
bin/rsync
etc/
etc/inetd.conf
oem.txt
usr/
usr/lib/
usr/lib/vmware/
usr/lib/vmware/vmkmod/
usr/lib/vmware/vmkmod/r8169

I'd like to thank the folks who made the rsync executable and the inetd.conf mods available.

Attachments:
oem.tgz [443.76 KiB]
Downloaded 2001 times
Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:33 pm

Wow, you did an hard work :) !
Tomorrow I'll try the oem.tgz file that you uploaded, and I'll post if it works for me...

Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:45 pm

Hello,

I've got an integrated ethernet card on my motherboard which work with the oem.tgz provided in the following post
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1272

But suffer from the "bug" describe in : viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1546

Then I've add 8169 NIC, but It doesn't seems to work with the oem.tgz provided in your post.

According to what I've understood, I found weird that there's no simple.map and pci.ids in your oem.tgz.

Does it means your's will only work on an installed esxi 4.0 system ?

Thanks for your help

Thomas

Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:27 pm

The oem.tgz I have provided does not work as a part of a bootable install, but only after an install.

As for the simple.map and pci.ids, it is my understanding that they are autogenerated.

Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:34 pm
Site Admin

You'll need at least at edited simple.map file for this. pci.ids is just used to diplay names in the console and vi client. If you don't have an entry in pci.ids it'll still work fine.

If you have a booting system you can do this

chmod +t /etc/vmware/simple.map
edit simple.map
run backup.sh 0 /bootbank/
reboot the server.

If you need it before you install then you have to use a custom oem.tgz file.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:22 pm

I'd like to confirm: this driver does work great!
MB GA-EP35-DS3 with integrated RTL8111B
Had an issue with r8168 driver (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1272)
r8169 fixed the issue (viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1546)

Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:35 am

If you are running my script you have to download the inetd.conf file too befor you run the script.

Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next