View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 ESXi 4.1 access to datastore from within created VM ? 

Post ESXi 4.1 access to datastore from within created VM ?
Im using ESXi 4.1 and have created a VM using a RHEL6 as the base.
I want to try creating some internal KVM VMs within this ESX VM and I have the KVM raw img files stored on a ESX datastore.

How can I access or copy the .img files needed by the KVM install so they accessible to the local to the ESX VM which will be making KVM virsh call that use associated img files for setup (like ESX uses vmdk files)?

NOTE: ESXi and qemu-img convert both deal with raw filesystem types but the .img files I need to import to ESX VMs are actually x86 boot sector partition1 images which neither recognize as raw or other supported FS types.

I have split up these .img files that were larger than 4G to make iso FS images which ESX can import (as well as vmdk and raw) and then copy the internal .img file from the mounted iso. In the case of multi-split img files, I then cat them back to one complete img. Looking for a way to directly copy or reference these img files on a datastore outside of the ESX VM.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]