View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 11:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 RAID available using Gigabyte EX58-UD4P (Intel ICH10R) 

Post RAID available using Gigabyte EX58-UD4P (Intel ICH10R)
I am in the process of building a ESXi box and would like to use the raid controller included on this motherboard (ICH10R). After searching the VM-Help site I did not find a definitive answer. Has anyone built an ESXi box with an Intel i7 chip and this Gigabyte MB, and been able to use a raid configuration using 2 HDs? The version selection will be based on ability to support the 2 HD raid configuration.

AChris

Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:14 am

Post Re: RAID available using Gigabyte EX58-UD4P (Intel ICH10R)
hello and welcome

As I understand , as long as it's a software raid controller it will not work in ESXi

But I'm not a expert

rgd DAniel

Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:21 pm
Profile WWW

Does anyone have a suggestion for an add-on RAID Board?

Achris :?:

Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:21 pm
Site Admin

How many drives do you want to attach? You can get Perc 4 / 5 /6 cards for pretty cheap online and they're rebranded LSI cards. The LSI Megaraid 150-4 / 150-6 should work (they did with 3.5). I'm using an Adaptec 4805 at home and will be adding an LSI 8708ELP. They're a bit more expensive, but you can get battery backed write cache which will help with performance if that's a concerned.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:26 pm

Thanks for the Info.
I researched each of the controller cards you made mention of. My lack of knowledge really shows when trying to make a decision on selecting a Sata Controller card. Given that this box is not being build fo a production environment, I would like a cost-effective solution. The cost of controllers range from $30 to $3K. Quite a range. I would like a quality card that is not going to fail in a short time.
Some background:
As a Newbie, my goal is to set up a testbed/sandbox using ESXi. To start with, I planned on using two, 1 TB Sata Drives, and in the future, if necessary adding more storage. I, also plan on using a 4 port NIC Card to allow physical connections to external devices from the VMs, such as a router, firewall or switch. Given the intended use is RAID even needed? If a RAID card is necessay to implement RAID, maybe a better solution would be to build with one physical HD and get it up and running. Then in the future I could add the RAID card and multiple HDs. Any thoughts?

The first VMs I want to load are: VISTA, XP, Backtrack, and the LiveCD De-Ice.

Hope this makes some sense.

AAC

Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:24 pm
Site Admin

To start you would be fine with a drive or 2 attached to the ICH10r controller. If you use 2 drives you can create 2 datastores and then backup from one drive to another. That way if you have a failure at least you'll have a backup.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:06 pm

I have that exact board achris. Unless you are needing redundancy (i.e hard disk fail) then there is no real need for RAID. From memory you will need to set the controller to AHCI mode in the BIOS to use the ICH10R, but other than that it should work fine. I am using a Dell PERC 6/i with my EX58-UD4P which appears to be working fine after I applied the tape mod.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:58 pm

Thanks for the update. Please tell me a little bit about your setup. It sounds like you are using a single SATA HD for ESXi and then using the hardware RAID controller for attached sata storage.

AChris

Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:09 pm

That was going to be my setup, however in the end I decided to run everything through my PERC card using 3 x 1.5TB WD drives (soon to be 4 drives). I ended up just getting the i7 920 for the CPU and stuffed it full as much RAM as I could afford. I was able to get 2 x 6GB kits pretty cheap so have ended up with 12GB. I've disabled the onboard LAN and am just using a cheap Intel PRO 1000 for the network. Am in the process of sourcing an Adaptec UW SCSI card so I can use my old DDS4 tape drive for backups. Not that I'll be able to do much with 20GB tapes for what will be 4TB of storage, but I'll be able to save the important stuff.

BTW, are you using a PS/2 keyboard? I've found that ESXi on my motherboard seems to flat out refuse to work with a PS/2 keyboard, though I haven't explored the BIOS much yet for options. My USB keyboard seems to work perfectly.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:05 pm

Did you have to modify the OEM.TGZ file to get this m/board to work. I'm considering this one and the GA-EX58-UD3R as the board in a system I would like to build for home learning. I'd prefer to avoid tinkering with the OEM.TGZ if I could .... it'll only end in tears <g>

Grateful for any info you can share.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]