View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Sandy bridge support 

Post Sandy bridge support
Wondering if anyone out there has already tried getting ESXi 4.1 running on the sandy bridge platform.

I am currently still using the AMD platform which has been described on here, but seeing that buying 16GB of DDR2 ram is almost more expensive then building a new system around the just revealed sandy bridge platform with 16GB DDR3 memory, I'm very interested in to upgrading towards it.

It seems to bring everything from low power consumption to high clock speeds with integrated graphics, intel LAN onboard through chipset, etc.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has experimented with it yet. Please provide us with your feedback!

Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:32 am

Post Re: Sandy bridge support
I actually put together a sandy bridge server for use with esxi. Well actually, it was for my brother. Anyhow, nethier one of us has any experience with linux or vitualization. So i didnt even know about the compability problems^^ stupid me. Anyway, the server consists of a i7-2600K, MSI H67MA-E45, Velociraptor 600GB, and 8GB memory. I bypassed a problem with the Realtek 8111E NIC with a modified oem.tgz, but now the installation gets stuck at, "ESXi cant find a place to install the image" or something like that. Anyone know what I should try?

Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:16 am
Site Admin

jthure wrote:
but now the installation gets stuck at, "ESXi cant find a place to install the image" or something like that. Anyone know what I should try?

In the script use the kickstart option.
You can read about it here, http://benincosa.org/blog/?p=171

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:52 pm

jthure wrote:
I actually put together a sandy bridge server for use with esxi. Well actually, it was for my brother. Anyhow, nethier one of us has any experience with linux or vitualization. So i didnt even know about the compability problems^^ stupid me. Anyway, the server consists of a i7-2600K, MSI H67MA-E45, Velociraptor 600GB, and 8GB memory. I bypassed a problem with the Realtek 8111E NIC with a modified oem.tgz, but now the installation gets stuck at, "ESXi cant find a place to install the image" or something like that. Anyone know what I should try?

Also, make sure your storage controllers in the BIOSare set to AHCI, and disable any add-on controllers and things you will not use (sound, etc.)

It could be that the chipset controller are not recognized yet because the system is so new, that VMware will need to release an update with new drivers. Also, because there is no comparable server platform on the same tech yet.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:14 am

Post Re: Sandy bridge support / cougar point 6 sata drivers
Hello,
there is another thread about the same problem here :
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2718
yours sincerely
Robert / Vienna

Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:35 pm

Just an FYI for the early adopters, apparently there is a flaw in the Sandy Bridge chipset:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/intel-hit ... lout/44257

Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:59 am

Hi all! (sorry for bad english!)

I try to install ESXi 4.1.0 on my new PC (Core i7-2600, ASUS P8H67-M PRO, RAID IBM ServeRAID 8s - Adaptec ASR4805SAS - RAID10):

0. i am use usb flash 4gb as install disk (create with unetbootin http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) and usb flash 1gb as destination disk.

1. When i use original cd VMware-VMvisor-Installer-4.1.0-260247.x86_64.iso, installer crashed after F11 (licence agreement): Unable to load module /usr/lib/vmware/vmkmod/vmfs3: Failure

2. I try to use oem.tgz from http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1272 for support Realtek 8111e and integr. SATA Ctrl (not used). After this installer crashed at another step, after window "confirm install": installation operation Failed! Unable to find the system image to install.

3. I am download ESXi 4.0.0 (MD5SUM e860c115ce095439b1cb93d745cc35b4) include on usb flash oem.tgz from step 2: it works!

updated: i upgrade ESXi 4.0.0 to ESXi 4.1.0 without problem! Use this http://spininfo.homelinux.com/news/A._Mikkelsen/2010/07/18/Upgrading_ESXi_3.x_4.0_to_4.1_%E2%80%93_%E2%80%9CFailed_to_read_the_upgrade_package_metadata.xml%E2%80%9D

Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:54 pm

Hello All

i am planning to buy a desktop PC for used with ESXi 4.1, the configuration i am looking for is intel i7 2600, ASUS P8P67-Delux, 500 GB SATA hard drive. 1333MHz 4x2gb RAM, can any body please tell me
1) if i can install ESXi 4.1 on this board and processor?
2) if i am able to install it, will it be able to recognize the hard disk and network adapter?

please let me know what all the other consideration i should look for?

little quick reply is really appreciated.

Thanks
Fahad Ahmed

Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:04 pm

Fahad Ahmed wrote:
Hello All

i am planning to buy a desktop PC for used with ESXi 4.1, the configuration i am looking for is intel i7 2600, ASUS P8P67-Delux, 500 GB SATA hard drive. 1333MHz 4x2gb RAM, can any body please tell me
1) if i can install ESXi 4.1 on this board and processor?
2) if i am able to install it, will it be able to recognize the hard disk and network adapter?

please let me know what all the other consideration i should look for?

little quick reply is really appreciated.

Thanks
Fahad Ahmed

To start... it's a bit harsh to just dump your question like this. We are not VMware, we are helpfull people, willing to help. Do your own research and if then you are still not sure, then ask your question.

But to awnser you. From what I have read (doing research) the H/P67 chipset should not form a problem for running ESXi.

HDD's should be no problem using AHCI from what I have read.
From what I can read from a topic linked in this topic, the AHCI controller on the P/H67 IS NOT recognized by ESX and people are trying to get it working. But it might need an update from VMWare. ESXi 4.1u1 is not seeing them. From what I can read in this topic. He did get it working but editting some files. So it does seem possible. Your results, might vary. And here another topic where they got it working. My conclusion would be that it's possible, but needs a bit of work to get it working.

The NIC is a combo of Realtek and Intel from what I understand. I believe it's possible to get this working using the custom files on here (oem.tgz?). But you'll have to see and try.

So nothing is sure, unless you can find someone whom has used the same board. But it'll always stay a gamble for a bit.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]