View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 GA-890FXA-UD5 issues 
Site Admin

Post Re: GA-890FXA-UD5 issues
simak wrote:
I am not sure if I can enable audio device in ESXi 4.1 . If yes does somebody have experience with this? I suppose I will need to inject and this driver in the esx iso.

If the device shows up on the VMDirectPath screen you could pass an audio device into a VM and the guest OS would take care of the drivers. You won't have an option to add drivers to ESXi for this.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:48 am

Hi Dave,

Concerning your question which devices I have checked - to be honest till now I haven't tested in reality a device. I mean I can see the devices in Windows but unfortunately I cannot find proper drivers for them. For example I can present USB controller. I downloaded the drivers from Gigabyte site and install them, but in device manager I have status "problem with the device" I suppose because it depends from MB drivers also. I am not sure. Will update you when I can use some device. But for sure I can see it in Device manager of a Virtual machine.

Concerning the sound - I managed to fix this problem very easy - just disabled Audio Map in RDP settings and now I have working sound in terminal session. Your proposal doesn't work, because an audio device cannot be presented in ESXi and is not visible for passthrought also.

The Virtual machines working really fast and good even with 32 bit color via RDP. Video is rendering very good for me. I don't need game quality just for movies and works.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:36 am

Hi All,
I have tested successfully ESXi passthrough / AMD IOMMU option for this MB and I can confirm that it is working with no problems. I have presented a physical PCI Network card to a Virtual Machine and it is working perfect. I disabled the VMWare mapped NW adapter and I am using only this physical card for a virtual machine - working really well.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:54 am

I forgot to remind you that I have used the bios F4a - unofficial beta bios in order to have working IOMMU / Passthrough / VM Direct Path.

I saw above that some posts are for Asus MB and shared experience with very poor sata disk performance.

Let me share that GB 890FXA-UD5 has very good sata disk performance. With sata3 disk I can say that I have really really fast hdd I/O with ESXi. I am running in parallel more than 6 Virtual machines and all of them behave very well.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:02 am

I'd like to add my success and experience to this.

I have the rev. 3.1 of GA-890FXA-UD5, which is the latest as of this writing. Rev 3.1 has a different set of bios versions, which I updated to 'version FD' from gigabyte's site (it came with FB). All install attempts failed until after I updated to version FD. This may have been due to the update or the faulty HD I was using, don't know which. Oops. The errors I was getting did indicate a problem with the motherboard, so I'm guessing it was the update.

Anyway, after the update I was able to install esxi 4.0. esxi 4.1u1 failed but I was able to upgrade to 4.1u1 from 4.0 without issue.

I used the oem.tgz from simak earlier in this post. I was able to get it installed to a local SATA drive (attached directly to the MB). I also am able to see and use both onboard NICs. I used an external USB DVD burner to install with.

I had to disable C1. I also disabled the full screen logo option, because that was horrendous. :)

Thu May 05, 2011 8:37 am

Nice thread, been looking everywhere for people running IOMMU successfully!
Quick question though, does IOMMU work with GA-890FXA-UD5 and the latest BIOS or do you still have to use that F4a beta bios?

I’m looking into buying GA-890FXA-UD5 but if the beta bios is the only working I might as well get the Asus Crosshair IV Formula.

Oh and have you successfully been able to Pass-through the on-board SATA-controller to a VM?

Cheers!

Thu May 12, 2011 9:34 am

Just noted that the whole 900 series of chipsets will have IOMMU, so I will wait for them to be released in the summer :)

Tue May 17, 2011 10:14 am

Hi all, been reading all the posts in this thred as I am looking at buying this board, been having NIC dropouts with current board :(

Has anyone pushed thois board to 16GB ram in ESXi 4.0 /4.1?
I need to use 16GB of ram and have seen issues with some boards with ESXi when using over 8GB of ram.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:17 am

simak wrote:
Let me share the latest experience with this board:
- CPU Power C1 option has to be disabled to pass the ESXi 4.1 installation
- driver from my previous post working fine for my NW adapter which is RTL 811B / 8169B
- IOMMU for passthrough working only with unofficial bios F4a .

Do you have any idea if this BIOS will work on a REV2.0 of this board ???

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:31 am

Hello,

I am facing problem with this motherboard so thought of writing here instead of creating another thread.

I am using GA-890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0 and i used oem.tar file from simak posted in this very thread only. Though Simak mentioned that his oem file wud work for rev 2.1 but i just thought of giving it a try and it worked!.

However now it has been almost 10 days since i installed ESXi 4.1 and last evening when i rebooted my host server it says some error with incompatible NIC? It was working few days back i even created 3 VMs, Domain controller, VPN server etc all sudden how it stopped working??
I know someone else also faced this same problem i guess i need to use a different oem.tar file am i correct? where can i find that oem file or is there any other way around? I dont want to reinstall ESXi from scratch if possible

Also thank you all for all your help especially Dave, vChad and Varazir

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next