View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Getting vmfs error on GA-EP45-UD3P during installation 

Post Getting vmfs error on GA-EP45-UD3P during installation
Hey guys!

I've tried installing ESXi 4.1 and 4.0 on my lab workstation. After accepting the licence agreement i get the error:

Unable to load module /usr/lib/vmware/vmkmod/vmfs3: failure

I googled some and one reason was that i had no active nic at startup so i've turned off both onboard nics, added a Intel PRO/1000 GT incase that was the problem but it seems it didn't solve the problem.

According to: http://ultimatewhitebox.com/nic this nic should work.

I've tried installing with USB/CD but neither works

A user seems to have gotten it to work: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=326&p=5907&hilit=UD3P#p5907 but he only has 1 post and i doubt i will reach him.

Anyone else have any experience with this board/problem?

Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:53 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Getting vmfs error on GA-EP45-UD3P during installation
Once you get the installation error, press ALT+F1 to access the console. Login with root (pasword is blank) and then run lspci -p to see a list of devices and drivers loaded (look at the module column). Is a driver listed for the Pro 1000?

I use them myself so normally one shouldn't have a problem with them.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:27 am

I'm considering it might not be the network card. Although I don't even know if the networkcard works. I booted up Microsoft hyper-v server and I didn't get any network connection. Gonna test it in one of my clients. I'll do what you suggested though. It doesn't feel like entering the console would work. Hitting any key doesnt give any kind of response but I'll be sure to test it anyways. Thankyou for your input

Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:41 am

I don't know how to edit my post so I'll make a new one.

I figured out the vmfs3 problem: the nic had to be in pci slot 0.... Might wanna add that to the whitelist. Also now I get an error after selecting the harddrive, there was no clear error message though. It just said it couldn't proceed. I'll post an update when I get home this afternoon and have a little time to test.

Update1: (yay found the edit button)

So i managed to install ESXi 4.0, 4.1 kept on giving me the same error about not being able to find the image. i now need to upgrade to 4.1 so i can use my free license. First i thought i could use the vSphere Host Update Utility but apparently it is discontinued and doesn't work in W7. Googled it and found some tricks about adding a new devpath but it still didn't work. Also saw some threads on this forum with 2 guides, one of them being http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/manage_wi ... ient_4.php and the other i can't find, anyway neither is working out for me. Wil continue googling and yet again, any ideas would be welcome =)

Update2: Alright so i got my VMs up and running now, what i've noticed though is that i'm gett extremely poor network performance, only about 10mb/s when transfering files 500mb+. Perhaps i've set up my datastores incorrectly?

Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:03 pm

I just installed on a GA-G41M-E2SL mobo, pretty similar to yours.
The error will be due to the network adapter. Realtec NIC's arent supported :(. You can fudge it to work, but its easier to spend the tiny amount of money and get a proper NIC :)

I splashed out and bought a intel pro CT gigabit NIC and the install went smoothly from there out :D

Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:51 am

Yeah i went on and got the intel GT, also found a oem.tgz that enabled my realtec chips. Still having problems with my fileserver though, 5-10mb/s is poor throughput... haven't really figured out where to turn off tso and how to do it on the host (still haven't got console access to the host)

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]