View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Install image not found on CD/USB stick during install 

Post Install image not found on CD/USB stick during install
I am loading ESXi 4.1 on an HP Z200 and needed to modify the oem.tgz as it uses the Intel 82578DM network controller. Using the script provided by Varazir, I attempted to make a new installation iso. When I booted the new iso, it got past detecting the MAC address, allowed me to select the target hard drive then errored out saying it could not find the install image, the CD must not be mounted correctly, etc... So I tried building a installation USB drive with the same result.

Any suggestions for things to check?

Then, using the same original installation iso from VMware, I used the script to build a bootable USB stick. This actually gets ESXi loaded but not to a usable state...which is probably due to lack of knowledge - I can configure networks, look at logs and so on but can't create a VM. Do I need to do this from the tech console?

Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:02 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Install image not found on CD/USB stick during install
It seems that ESXi 4.1 seems to have some problems installing on HP systems from CD-ROM. It may be the setting of the controller for the device and if you have any BIOS options for that you may consider changing it.

Quote:
Then, using the same original installation iso from VMware, I used the script to build a bootable USB stick. This actually gets ESXi loaded but not to a usable state...which is probably due to lack of knowledge - I can configure networks, look at logs and so on but can't create a VM. Do I need to do this from the tech console?

If you're booting ESXi from a USB device you'll have to add some storage for your datastores. If you go to the configuration tab and select storage, you can then click Add Storage to create a datastore. Assuming ESXi can see your local storage controller then you'll be OK.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:20 am

I recreated the bootable USB and tried it again:

It boots up to the black and yellow screen with 2 options - f2 for configuration or f12 to exit. After loggin in, it shows a list on the left side of the display with options to configure: set IP address, change password, test/disable/restart the management network, show logs, etc...
But no option for storage...
When I look at the vmkernel log it looks to me like all its detecting is the USB drive...

Why did it detect my hard drives when I tried to install from the CD/USB but can't find them using the bootable stick? They were all built with the same oem.tgz.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:38 am
Site Admin

In this case you're booting into a functioning copy of ESXi and you'll want to connect with the vSphere client to configure storage.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:04 pm

I finally got it loaded! I ended up using the customized install CD I had made and an external CD drive. It installed; I configured a datastore and was able to create a VM!

You can add the HP Z200 SFF to the list of successfull loads...I had to use the oem.tgz from hardworker; made the changes for the 82578DM and with the script from Varazir burned the new install CD.

Now the next question I have is how do I get the host to display the VM? I can work with it in the console windows from the client, but can I display the VMs on the machine with ESXi?

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]