View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 8 Logical Processors (1x Core i7 CPU) && Free ESXi 

Post 8 Logical Processors (1x Core i7 CPU) && Free ESXi
Hi,

i have a Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67Ghz

Processor Sockets 1
Processor Cores per Socket 4
Logical Processors 8

but the VMs can only use 4 Logical CPUs, the rest 4 can not be used. is there any way to enable this Cores with the free ESXi Version?

kind regards

Alex

Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:39 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: 8 Logical Processors (1x Core i7 CPU) && Free ESXi
For a VM to be able to use more that 4 vCPUs you need to be licensed at the Enterprise Plus level - http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/ ... rison.html. That's the default level when the host is in eval mode.

If you have 2 VMs each with 4 vCPUs that are active then all eight logical processors will be used.

I saw on another post that you've using a DX50SO. How did the rest of the hardware (nic / controller) work in the system?

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:33 pm

Post Re: 8 Logical Processors (1x Core i7 CPU) && Free ESXi
Thanks for information, the free one did only have 1-6 cores, so i think 2 cores will not be used by vm is this correct or is this limit only for physical cores and not for logical ones.

the DX50SO works with vSphere good, only the Raid-Controller doesn't work correctly. If you configure a Raid, VM see every Harddisk and not the container.

The NICs working normaly.

At the start with vShere i was pachting the installation CD for 3Ware Support ( i use this controller for the raid level) and after the first update the patch was terminated. So i reinstall the VMWare on a USB Stick, start from that and install the 3Ware driver normaly. Thats the Patch save solution.

The Firewire Port can not be accessed via VM-Ware so i bridge it direct to a VM (Windows Server 2008 R2/Exchange 2010) for a Backup Drive and this works without problems too.

As Powersupply i take one with a very big Fan on the Ground of the Powersupply and for the CPU Fan i use Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 with very low rotaition and a passiv colling Graphic card from nvidia.

The Case is Noice Reducted silentmaxx ITA-2767.

so the PC is total Quite, nothing to hear - my gigabit switch is the louderst part in my home for now, but this is in a 19" case and i think the fan must be killed very soon ;)

Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]