View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 ESXi 4.0 Installer hangs 
Site Admin

Post Re: ESXi 4.0 Installer hangs
With copying the dd image to USB flash drive you'll get to the point where you can boot with a linux live CD and then add the oem.tgz file you'll need.

You can see a sample of that here - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/disabl ... tartup.php. In that case I wasn't copying over an oem.tgz file just creating one so I never checked to see if I had network connectivity with the live CD.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:03 pm

Alright I hit my first snag on dd. I can't figure out how to extract the dd image. There is a .temptar file I need to decompress and I can't figure out what format it is compressed in. Winzip can normally handle tarballs but doesn't recognize this.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:10 pm

Ok, I figured it out. I just had to change temptar to temp.tar and winzip recognized it.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:13 pm

Dave.Mishchenko wrote:

These instructions fail to produce a bootable USB device for me. I've tried twice now in case there was an error in copying. I've also tried the dd.exe that comes with cygwin, but it has a totally different syntax and isn't meant for copying from one drive to another.

I think the instructions in that link are out of date for 3 reasons:
1 the instructions list the dd image file as "VMware-VMvisor-big-164009-x86_64.dd" when the current filename is "VMware-VMvisor-big-208167-x86_64.dd"
2 the instructions include the optional switch "bs=1MB" which is the wrong syntax. The correct syntax would be "bs=1048576"
3 the instructions for creating the md5sum include "count=750" which would work for a dd image that was 750 Mb but not for the current image which is 940 Mb.

So, having spotted and corrected 3 syntax problems with the instructions, I'm guessing there is at least one more that I'm not seeing that is causing the copy to fail. When I try to boot off that USB stick, even if I manually select it from the boot menu, the BIOS treats it as non-bootable and moves on the next boot device. When I try to access it from Windows, it states the device is not formatted and would I like to format it now. Can you help tweak these instructions or should I try something else?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:03 pm
Site Admin

You can try something like Winimage as well.

Gigabyte MBs also seem to have an issue booting from USB - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1774&p=4899&hilit=gigabyte+USB+boot#p4899.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Yep, that's it. I plugged the USB into another PC and booted off it. Sigh. I got that Gigabyte because it was listed as compatible so I wouldn't have to go through a lot of hassle. What a pain!

The other thread discusses a way to fdisk the USB to make the MB happy. I'm not too good with linux just yet though, so a little clarification on the commands would be helpful. The instructions Ice gives include "choose az x", etc. I'm not sure what this means. The only command switches I see for fdisk on my ubuntu livecd are -b -l -s -v

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:58 pm

Hmmm, ok so the commands must be executed after running fdisk on the USB, but this fdisk doesn't support several of them. There is no "z" for example. Do I need a different version of fdisk?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:23 pm

Yes!!! I finally got it to boot. Found this excellent article which describes another method of putting the image onto the USB.
http://www.techhead.co.uk/how-to-create ... -pen-drive

Using winimage I was able to copy the dd image onto the USB so that I could access the drive and read the files and boot from it, even with my gigabyte board. Now to modding the ocz.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:08 pm

VMNoob,

Today I stared at the USB bootdisk as well. I forgot someting very freaking obvious though --> to make the partition marked as bootable.

You can check my post viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2022&start=0 for a quick fdisk / syslinux overview, maybe for the next time ;)

Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2