View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Porting driver from Linux 

Post Re: Porting driver from Linux
http://sourceforge.net/projects/open-vdrivers/forums/forum/915617/topic/3358585?message=7548991%20Getting%20Started

When looking into building drivers myself I noticed the link mentioned before was no longer valid so here is the new link.

Attachments:
VMwareLinuxDrivers.txt [9.07 KiB]
Downloaded 526 times
Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:46 pm

I have a 8 bay calvary sata extender also a 4 bay sans digital and a 4 bay media sonic probox. So I can test and cover most of the top enclosures on the market. As soon as I get your driver installed today I will be testing the port multiplier enclosures I listed on my esxi 4.1 box , I also have a quad amd bulldozer box I have 5.0 on so if anyone knows where I might find a Sil3132 driver for it I will test that as well.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:20 pm

I wanted to know if you got the drive to work in esxi 4 and if the port multiplier was working. They just released the sources for esxi5 I was going to follow similar steps to compile the new driver. Trying to figure out what version of linux to pull drivers from, as the new esxi 5 is based on a new kernel. Any help and answers much appreciated.

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:27 pm

please let us know your results in testing esxi 4 with 3132. Also I am looking to try and build the drive in esxi 5 as the new sources just became available recently. Can anyone help out with what version of linux to pull the files form to get this build to work I would greatly appreciate it thanks.

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:39 pm

quicksilver5797 wrote:
please let us know your results in testing esxi 4 with 3132.

I have a 3132 card and a 4 bay mediasonic probox. I used the compiled driver (2.6.19) from another thread with ESXi 4.1, and I can say that it doesn't work. Only the first drive is recognized. The same hardware works fine with Ubuntu and FreeNAS, so I can rule out a h/w problem.

I'm not exactly a linux kernel hacker, but I am tempted to try to compile an updated version of the sata_sil24 driver. I haven't looked yet, but perhaps ESXi 5.0 might work more easily with a newer version of the driver.

On the other hand, upgrading to a VT-d capable CPU or just going to a non-virtualized linux server is looking like a pretty good option right now.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:37 pm

Well from what it looks like the ahci driver in even 5.0 does not have FIS built into it correctly, I am trying to hack in the options from a normal linux kernal but patching this thing seems more difficult then i first expected. This is the reason only one drive is detected because vmware does not turn on the fis and can not use the esata port multiplier, I really dont know why the removed this option out of the kernal but it is really disappointing.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:01 am

Hello all,

bphinz, I will attempt, but I am curious if you have ported sata_sil24 to ESX 5.1.

I just grabbed a cheap eSATA adapter with sil3132 on it off amazon, and it doesn't appear to be recognized on 5.1.

Thanks,

Matt

Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:26 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2