View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 ASUS M2A-VM SATA 

Post ASUS M2A-VM SATA
Hello, I recently posted the steps to have ESXi 3.5 u4 installed on an ASUS M2A-VM

ESX 4.0 can also be installed on it but no with the original hardware. At least an additional supported nic is required (ex.: Broadcom BCM5751 ~ $20) otherwise you will receive a non "very intuitive" LVM error message.

Installation steps:

1) Install your compatible nic hardware (I suggest a compatible Broadcom or Intel nic)
2) At BIOS change your sata controller mode to AHCI
3) Run ESXi 4.0 install from a CD or USB drive and follow the installation instructions.
4) On the error message "Unable to find a supported device to write the VMware ESX Server image to" hit Alt-F1
5) This will drop you at the console screen. Type "unsupported" and hit enter. No password.
6) run the command vmkload_mod ahci (a small delay is normal)
7) Back at the console type install. Install will start (if you receive an error like "install can't execute", use chmod ), but may still have an error. At the error type Alt-F1 the login, run install, and Alt-f2 to accept.

Now you can see your SATA disks and sucessful install ESXi 4.0

8) With help of other linux installation mount the ESX hardisks and partitions
8.1) Open oem.tgz at root of bootbank partition and include the following file and path on it: /etc/vmware/simple.map
8.2) Add the storage and the nic lines in the simple.map

1002:4380 0000:0000 storage ahci
14e4 1677 0000 0000 network tg3.o

Obs.: The last line will must match your nic hardware. The first line is compatible with your ASUS M2A-VM

9) Boot ESXi

Now you must have ESXi 4.0 running at your Asus M2A-VM 690G SB600 with the onboard SATA controller

Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:59 pm

Post Re: ASUS M2A-VM SATA
Hello
Regarding point 8.1 and 8.2
Does this mean that I need to make a folder called
"etc" and inside it folder "vmware" and again inside that one make file
"simple.map" ? Asking coz there are no files what so ever in oem.tgz
on cd/usb image!

Can you please confirm this?

Thanks

Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:58 am
Site Admin

By default oem.tgz is empty and you do have to create the file at /etc/vmware/simple.map to overwrite the default copy of that file.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:47 am

I have followed the steps and invoked the vmkload_mod ahci and loaded the module then I typed install and received the error install permission denied how do I invke the install

Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:53 am
Site Admin

Have you checked that the module loaded OK? run lspci -p and you should see a driver listed in the module column.

If the module is listed (and fdisk -l should show a disk) then see steps 5 / 6 here - http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/ESXi_inst ... _drive.php.

But note that ESXi might have issues when you reboot after the install and you would have to add an oem.tgz file.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:53 am

I will try that however how do you get it to complete the install from the console when you get a install permission denied. I can not get it to complete the install so I can configure the esxi server. When you invoke the unsupported to run vmkload_mod ahci the steps state to type install and the install completes . how do you get back to the console from the Tech support module. do you type exit to go back to the console and the type install or can you run install from the tech support mode after invoking the vmkload_mod. the setps just say ot type install.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:24 am
Site Admin

You would run python ThinESX.py to restart the install in tech support mode.

5) You will now be back at the console. If you had stopped the installer at the screen show below, you can press ALT-F2 to return to the screen and press Enter to start the install, but it will still generate the error shown in the image above. You will need to press ALT-F1 and then type in cd /usr/lib/vmware/installer and press enter. Then enter the command: python ThinESX.py.
6) When you run the command to start the install, it is important to note that the installer may switch you back to the ALT-F2 (DCUI) screen. If that is the case, then press ALT-F1 to return to the console again. You will see the below screen again with the prompt to press Enter to install. Do so and the install will proceed.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:34 am

r11563 wrote:
Hello, I recently posted the steps to have ESXi 3.5 u4 installed on an ASUS M2A-VM

ESX 4.0 can also be installed on it but no with the original hardware. At least an additional supported nic is required (ex.: Broadcom BCM5751 ~ $20) otherwise you will receive a non "very intuitive" LVM error message.

Installation steps:

1) Install your compatible nic hardware (I suggest a compatible Broadcom or Intel nic)
2) At BIOS change your sata controller mode to AHCI
3) Run ESXi 4.0 install from a CD or USB drive and follow the installation instructions.
4) On the error message "Unable to find a supported device to write the VMware ESX Server image to" hit Alt-F1
5) This will drop you at the console screen. Type "unsupported" and hit enter. No password.
6) run the command vmkload_mod ahci (a small delay is normal)
7) Back at the console type install. Install will start (if you receive an error like "install can't execute", use chmod ), but may still have an error. At the error type Alt-F1 the login, run install, and Alt-f2 to accept.

Now you can see your SATA disks and sucessful install ESXi 4.0

8) With help of other linux installation mount the ESX hardisks and partitions
8.1) Open oem.tgz at root of bootbank partition and include the following file and path on it: /etc/vmware/simple.map
8.2) Add the storage and the nic lines in the simple.map

1002:4380 0000:0000 storage ahci
14e4 1677 0000 0000 network tg3.o

Obs.: The last line will must match your nic hardware. The first line is compatible with your ASUS M2A-VM

9) Boot ESXi

Now you must have ESXi 4.0 running at your Asus M2A-VM 690G SB600 with the onboard SATA controller

Maybe creat a oem file(name if after the devices it support) and post it here ?

rgd Daniel

Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:54 pm
Profile WWW

I have completed the install however I get a failed to find boot partition

what are the steps that I have to take now

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:20 pm
Site Admin

Do you just have a single drive and did it have anything installed on it prior to ESXi?

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next