View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Intel S3420GPLC / Socket 1156 Build 

Post Intel S3420GPLC / Socket 1156 Build
Following combination works perfectly.

Board was relatively cheap at US$175 - memory costs depend on how much and what type you need. ECC support, VT-d and no crazy workarounds makes it well worthwhile.

(http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=46533)

Intel S3420GPLC Server Board
    - Intel 3420 Chipset/ Socket 1156
    - 6 DDR3 1333/1066/800 DIMM Slots
      * Supports 4 x 4GB non-ECC UDIMM (unofficial, tested, works)
      * Supports 4 x 8GB ECC RDIMM (supported config)
      * Supports 6 x 4GB ECC RDIMM (supported config, tested, works)
      * WILL NOT POST WITH >4 DIMMs UNLESS ALL ARE REGISTERED
    Network: 1 x Intel 82578DM (onboard)/ 1 x Intel 82574L (onboard)
    Storage: 6 x SATA-II provided by 3420 chipset (AHCI mode)
    CPU Used: Intel Xeon 3440 CPU
    BIOS Versions: 46 and 48 (tested)

This combination supports VT-d/ FT (FT-capable only validated by bootable utility, not tested).

Of the on-board devices, the following are available for pass-thru:
    - Intel 82578DM
    - USB2 Root Hub #1
    - USB2 Root Hub #2
    - SATA-II 6-port controller (tested passthru to OpenSolaris, works)
    - PCI Express Root Port (in my case populated with an Intel SASWT4I)
    - PCI Express Root Port (in my case populated with an Intel SASUC8I, tested passthru to OpenSolaris, works)
    - PCI Express Root Port (in my case populated with an Intel SASUC8I, tested passthru to OpenSolaris, works)
    - PCI Express Root Port - Matrox G200e on-board video
    - PCI Express Root Port - Intel 82578DM on-board NIC
    - PCI Bridge (in my case populated with a D-Link DGE-530T)

Tested with ESXi 4.1 U1 - all core components (including both NICs) work out of the box - highlighting this as the VMWare HCL notes that the -DM on-board NIC isn't supported. DGE-530T (Marvell 88E8001) obviously required a minor fix to use the skge module, since it's not officially supported.

Will be glad to post more info if required, got much more from this board than I've contributed. :P

~trini

Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:26 am

Post Re: Intel S3420GPLC / Socket 1156 Build
Hi trini,

I am very interested in more information about your system, especially the storage you are using.
Would like to set up a machine like this, but not sure about the exact configuration.

So give me some NICE feedback :)

MakkuZ

Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Post Re: Intel S3420GPLC / Socket 1156 Build
Apologies for the delayed reply, hectic at work.

Background - I built this system to replace a standalone OpenSolaris server, which I was using as a file server and for VirtualBox. Since OpenSolaris is dead and I cant afford paying Oracle $1000/ socket/ year for patches, I needed something else.

So the box, and specifically the storage configuration.
    - configured to boot ESXi 4.1 U1 off the internal USB socket (4GB flash disk)
    - SASWT4I has RAID firmware, 2 x 40GB laptop drives configured in RAID-1
      * this serves as the 'base' drive for the SAN VM boot disk, which runs OpenFiler 2.99
      * also holds temporary/ non-production VMs and ISOs
    - 2 x SASUC8I with JBOD firmware configured as passthru to the OpenFiler VM (16 ports total)
    - On-board SATA controller configured as passthru to the OpenFiler VM (6 ports total)

Actual disks are:
    - 16 x 1TB disks attached to the SASUC8I's, configured as a 15-disk RAID-6 software array + 1 hot spare under OpenFiler (md0).
    - 6 x 2TB disks attached to the onboard controller, configured as a 5-disk RAID-5 software array + 1 hot spare under OpenFiler (md1).

md0 on OpenFiler VM has 2 iSCSI LUNs:
    - first exported to ESXi for 'production' VM storage (1TB)
    - second exported to a WHS 2011 VM (remainder, storage volume)

md1 on OpenFiler VM has 1 iSCSI LUN:
    - exported to same WHS 2011 VM (8TB, backup volume)

Note - this is a non-optimal solution, since all production VMs are on the iSCSI volume, so ESXi cant see them until the OpenFiler VM starts. Even then, I have a custom boot script that forces the ESXi to do an iSCSI HBA re-scan after the OpenFiler VM starts. This is required, else ESXi will not see the volume and won't be able to process auto-start/ auto-stop settings. This can be avoided if I host all the VMs on the RAID-1 volume, but my drives are too small.

Why WHS backed by OpenFiler? Because I actually really like how brain-dead WHS is - makes management of users/ shares/ streaming etc easy. As for OpenFiler, I'm ditching that for OpenIndiana as soon as it stabalizes. Want my ZFS back - volume configuration would be identical, except I'd use RAIDZ, RAIDZ2, and COMSTAR for iSCSI.

Performance-wise, I can't complain. File copies to/ from the WHS 2011 shares saturate my GigE network (actual transfers of 100MB/s+. The Intel NICs are used for actually serving traffic, while the DGE-530T is vmkernel/ management only (skge driver is a bit flaky under load, so decided to relegate it to light duty).

Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]