Thanks for taking the time to submit details about your working ESX/ESXi whitebox. If you could please include details about your hardware such as the items below if applicable. This will make things easier for others who try the same hardware.
- server / Asus A8N-E / Onboard / Onboard
- Nforce 4
- Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+
- 1013 / firmware versions
- are the onboard NIC / storage controller working (yes/yes)
- any changes required to enable ESX/ESXi to recognize hardware components (issues with installer crashing on 4.1, reverted to 4.0.0 install media worked fine, also issues with memory remap (HW remap and SW remap)features in bios for 4GB, disabled but only presents 3GB to ESXI in this case, post install re-enabling memory remap feature causes crash during boot.. disabled serial/parallel/audio/etc for good measure).
-Update: one of my sticks of ram was bad per memtest, dropped to 2x1gb with ecc and remap features enabled, no problems.
- does the storage controller support RAID / battery backup for write cache (unknown, no battery)
to be done below:
- does the MB support Intel VT (vt-x) / AMD-V
- does it support vt-d (directed I/O) / AMD IOMMU ()
- is the CPU FT (Fault Tolerant) capable - use the following bootable ISO image to check this - http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/c
- links to other forums if you have the details already posted there
If you're having problems installing ESX/ESXi, please post your question in the Install Problems forum.