Re: Personal DIY whitebox
I assembled a system with almost identical hardware and wanted to install ESXi 4.1. The system setup is as follows:
Board: Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 840 (4x 3.20 GHz)
Memory: 2x G.Skill DIMM 4 GB DDR3-1333 Kit
Disk: WD10EARS 1 TB
NIC: PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter
Optical: Used an old Sony DVD Drive here
I tried to setup ESXi in different ways and always got stuck. Here my experiences. I hope someone has a great idea how to get this going 1. ESXi 4.1 Installer ISO
- Burned it to CD
- Started and got install screen
- Install aborted with error "Unable to find system image to install"
--> did not work and I assume it might be caused by my DVD drive2. ESXi 4.0 and ESXi 3.5 ISO
- Burned both to CD
- Started and got stuck while loading the install screen
--> It seems to freeze while loading ESXi Installer from CD. No idea why it does this weird stuff ...3. ESXi Remote Install using VMWareGO
- Struggeled with network config but finally get install running (it was not started from a remote windows machine as I initially intended. I did install Win XP on the target machine and ran the VMWareGO installer with destination localhost --> IP 127.0.0.1)
- After 5 Mins install aborts with error "Unable to copy the required files to the remote computer for the Hypervisor installation"
--> Don't know why this happens
This stuff seems really annoying. If anybody has a great idea what else I could try, please give me a hint
@Aniki: Which DVD drive did you use? Can you post your complete system setup with bios settings?