View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 My whitebox: AMD, 8GB RAM 

Post My whitebox: AMD, 8GB RAM
My whitebox has been up and running for quite some time (since ESXi 3.5) and I currently have ESXi 4.1 installed.

ASRock ALIVENF6G-VSTA AM2 NVidia 6100 Motherboard
AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 Brisbane 2.3GHz
Intel Pro MT 1000 NIC
OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (x2)
PROMISE SATA300 TX4 PCI SATA II Controller Card
Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3250310NS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drives

AMD-V
But does not support vt-d (directed I/O) / AMD IOMMU

USB passthrough works.

The 8Gb of RAM is my main limitation as I have about 20 virtual machines installed (only half of them are powered on at one time though).

I am starting to think ahead for a new build - I am happy to try and stick with AMD but will switch to Intel if I can get a board that supports 24Gb or 32Gb of RAM and VMDirectPath - with this I plan to consolidate 3 machines into one if I can (current ESXi Server, Media Center and Windows Home Server). :)

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:28 pm

Post Re: My whitebox: AMD, 8GB RAM
what mobos are you looking at for a new build?
Have you found any AMD Phenom boards that would work?

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:58 am

Not yet - I have been looking at the DirectPath unofficial HCL: http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/esx40_vmd ... ox_HCL.php

The only (AMD) board I am looking at on this list so far is the SuperMicro H8SGL-F which is an Opteron board ... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... %20H8SGL-F

Looks like it may be a more expensive build to get the features that I want ... but I am planning to hopefully upgrade this year - so I hope that more boards will make the list in time ...

Last edited by prickly on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:47 am

I'm due for a major h/w overhaul this year. Running all 7+ yr old systems.
The Phenom looks good for the price compared to SandBridge, till I noticed the 125W TDP compared to intels 95W. Gotta do some more research to see just how big a factor that is.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:37 am

zenn68 wrote:
I'm due for a major h/w overhaul this year. Running all 7+ yr old systems.
The Phenom looks good for the price compared to SandBridge, till I noticed the 125W TDP compared to intels 95W. Gotta do some more research to see just how big a factor that is.

It's a huge factor.

I live in the northeast U.S. and pay some of the highest electric rates, since most ESX hosts will stay on 24 x 7, I did some serious research.

The bottom line is that while AMD chips seem to provide more bang-for-the-buck on the surface, there is a huge difference in operating costs. This article explains the numbers in detail:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/san ... ,2831.html

Based on this, I'm determined to do my ESX build based on Sandy Bridge and the Q67 chipset which will support all of Intel's vPro features (including VT-d).

Hope this helps,
TC

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:20 am

Read that review, now I'm leaning more towards a Sandy Bridge based system. Performance wise it's ahead of the AMD in about all benchmarks. Wish the price would drop a bit by the time I'm ready to buy.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]