View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 ESXI working with Asus P5BV-C/4L 

Post ESXI working with Asus P5BV-C/4L
MB: ASUS P5BV-C/4L, Socket 775
CPU: Intel Xeon X3330
RAM 2 x 2GB Kingston DDR2 800
NIC: 2 x Intel Pro/1000 GT
HDD: 1 x Seagate ST3500320NS

Onboard NICs crash install with vmfs3 module error. Disabling all four and using Intel Pro/1000 NICs allowed install to continue. Hopefully this information will save someone lots of time. I initially installed with one Intel Pro/1000 NIC and added the second after install when I had another in stock.

This motherboard has two groups of 4 SATA ports. The first 4 can be controlled by either an Intel ICH7R RAID controller or LSI MegaRAID controller as set by a motherboard jumper. I had this jumper in the LSI MegaRAID position, but I then configured the BIOS to use Enhanced, AHCI mode, so I don't think the RAID jumper had any effect.

The second group of 4 SATA ports is controlled by a Marvell RAID controller.I disabled this in BIOS. I don't know if disabling it is required, but it doesn't work in Linux last I checked, so it is unlikely to work in VMWare.

The install kept refusing to complete. It would report an error that the HDD was possibly corrupt. I removed 2GB of RAM and the install completed. I've added the RAM back in and the system is continuing to work, but I have a suspicion that the RAM is starting to fail.

I initially tried the install with three HDDs rather than the one that I eventually used. After the initial install, every time I removed the CD drive from the boot list, the system refused to boot. I think the BIOS was rearranging the HDD boot order also. Eventually I installed with only one HDD and after that had no further problems.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]