Re: Asrock AliveNF6G-GLAN (Nvidia MCP61)
My upgrade process:A few thoughts
- I knew the onboard nic would not be detected after the upgrade without a modified oem.tgz
- My ESXi box does not have a monitor or keyboard attached
- I did not want to have to move the ESXi box to my computerroom to do the upgrading. It is stowed away nicely somewhere far in the attic and physically difficult to reachIdea, will it work?
- I decided to try to include the modified oem.tgz in the downloadable upgrade package (ESXi-4.0.0-0.4.164009-upgrade-release.zip) from VMware and upgrade the host like in these instructions here: http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/ESXi40_upgrade_without_virtualcenter.php
- I used the original oem.tgz files uploaded by Dave from here: http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=214
and modified the simple.map with an entry for the onboard nic (10de:03ef). Packed it into oem.tgz with the required directory structure (etc\vmware\)
- replaced the (empty) oem.tgz in the VMware-image.tar.gz in the zip-package with the new one. The tricky part is you have to also update the checksum.md5 file in the VMware-image.tar.gz with the new md5-hash of the new oem.tgz file
- updated the zip-package with the modified VMware-image.tar.gz and checksum.md5 file
- modified the checksum.md5 file in the zip-package with the new md5-hash of the modified VMware-image.tar.gz
The modifying was done in Ubuntu 9.04. The modifying needs to be done in a Linux environment, something to do with the access rights of the files (copied the zip-package to my Ubuntu installation). The update was done from a Windows XP machine (copied the modified zip-package back to the Windows XP machine).
And... it worked. The VSphere Host Update Utilty didn't complain about a corrupt .zip package and let me do the update. Just to be safe I upgraded the host via the intel pro 1000 MT nic connection (both nic have a VMKernel port attached for management). The upgrade process took quite some time, especially after the reboot the upgrade process seemed to stop, just like Dave documented: But just be patient, it will go through eventually.