View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 ASUS P5Q 

Post ASUS P5Q
Hi All,

The whitelist shows a whole bunch of variants of the Asus P5Q range but it doesn't include the original base P5Q model, I can confirm this works OK on ESXi v4.1

Motherboard: Asus P5Q
Chipset: P45/ICH10
BIOS: 2208
NIC: Intel Pro/1000 CT
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 LGA775
VT-x: Yes
VT-d: Yes
ESXi: 4.1
Storage: on-board Intel RAID, fine for RAID0 but as usual for on-board Intel the array cant rebuild itself in and mirroring/parity based set up as it requires the windows software to do so. Controller was set to RAID mode.
Disks: 2x Western Digital Green 1TB

ESXi 4.1 was installed from burning the standard ESXi 4.1 .iso to CD

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:52 am

Post Re: ASUS P5Q
Can you please comment on whether you tried using RAID-10 with this. Also, for practical purposes how do you deal with rebuilding the array?
I am planning on acquiring a barebone system with P5Q (original) at its heart, but I want to be clear on how my RAID life is going to look with its built-in controller.

Thank you.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:33 am

parahumanoid wrote:
Can you please comment on whether you tried using RAID-10 with this. Also, for practical purposes how do you deal with rebuilding the array?
I am planning on acquiring a barebone system with P5Q (original) at its heart, but I want to be clear on how my RAID life is going to look with its built-in controller.

Thank you.

to put it bluntly, you can't use the on-board raid for ESX. its a "software" based raid controller so if a disk dies and your running ESX you wont be able to rebuild the array.

I went with an Adaptec 3405 in the end which is great, I put it in the PCI-E graphics slot and installed a pci g-card.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:24 pm

Thank you for your reply. I was considering DELL PERC 5 anyway, but was just curious if the built-in raid was recognized and worked at all, risks aside.

I realize I'm drifting off topic here, but please bear with me. I'm just getting into the ESX game and still don't know many things. Can a chosen virtual machine be set to take over the console (kind of like the way the X-server binds to a particular virtual console in Linux), so I don't need a separate PC to connect to this machine? If not quite so, any other elegant way not to buy another machine?

It's my understanding that with MS Hyper-V Server I do get this opportunity.

Thank you.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:59 pm
Site Admin

With ESXi you need a seperate PC to manage the host and you can't control a VM directly from the console.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:07 pm

parahumanoid wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I was considering DELL PERC 5 anyway, but was just curious if the built-in raid was recognized and worked at all, risks aside.

I realize I'm drifting off topic here, but please bear with me. I'm just getting into the ESX game and still don't know many things. Can a chosen virtual machine be set to take over the console (kind of like the way the X-server binds to a particular virtual console in Linux), so I don't need a separate PC to connect to this machine? If not quite so, any other elegant way not to buy another machine?

It's my understanding that with MS Hyper-V Server I do get this opportunity.

Thank you.

As Dave.Mishchenko says, you can't manage ESX VM's directly from the hosts console.

With Hyper-V you get a Windows Server 2008 OS with the ability to run VM's within it, its not the same with ESX - the console gives you only the most basic settings (IP/Credentials).

That said ESX is far superior, google will give you comparisons explaining why.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:44 pm

Sonic01 wrote:
As Dave.Mishchenko says, you can't manage ESX VM's directly from the hosts console.

With Hyper-V you get a Windows Server 2008 OS with the ability to run VM's within it, its not the same with ESX - the console gives you only the most basic settings (IP/Credentials).

That said ESX is far superior, google will give you comparisons explaining why.

I was implying the Hyper-V standalone installation, not a Hyper-V "role" (there are two installation scenarios available). Is that what you meant as well?

Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]