View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Working: Asus M2NPV-VM 

Post Working: Asus M2NPV-VM
I have been using for about a year now, an Asus M2NPV-VM w/ AMD Athlon XP 64 5600+ X2, 4GB RAM, two 500GB sata2 disks and two intel e100 PCI cards besides the original forcedeth network card. The system have been running smoothly. The only notable point is that the MCP51 SATA controller was supported but the MCP51 IDE/PATA was not, so you could not use an IDE cd-rom or an IDE harddrive. No problem with my two sata HDs, but I had to remove the IDE cd-rom and exchange it for an sata one.

Now, I have just tested the ESXi4 on the same machine. Everything that WAS working before, is STILL working, and the bonus points is that now the IDE/PATA controller is ALSO working. And I mean being able to use phisical IDE disks as datastores, or using physical IDE cd-roms as cd-roms in virtual machines (not being able to use virtual disks as IDE devices inside virtual machines, which incidentaly also started working in release 4).

This board was very close to perfect in ESXi 3,5, and now I would classify it as perfect in ESXi 4.

I welcome requests for tests or help with that board.

Please add it to the ESX4 whitebox hcl list. It is already on the ESXi3.5 list, but I don't think the comment about IDE/PATA is there, so this post may be of help in both lists.

Thanks,
Andre

Sat May 30, 2009 11:01 am

Post Re: Working: Asus M2NPV-VM
Same motherboard. Slightly different results.

BIOS 1201

Onboard IDE works (I have two DVD drives connected on secondary controller as master and slave)

Onboard SATA works (no RAID)
Adaptec 2410SA working - 3 x 320GB Seagate 7200.10 drives on RAID5

However, my add-on Intel 100Mbps NIC doesn't work anymore in ESXi 4.0 (It worked previous in ESXi 3.5

Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:33 am
Site Admin

ESX(i) 4.0 dropped some drivers included the e100 and 3Com 905.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:39 pm

Well, indeed I have not tested the e100 cards. I have 2 systems with that same board. I installed ESX4 in the second system while still running the first one in production. The two e100 cards are still in the first system.

When I said "everything that was working" I meant only about the mainboard itself, not including the two pci network cards which I had not tested yet.

Sorry for the confusion.

But it is very nice to know that before trying to migrate everthing (which I was about to do any moment now). It will save me a lot of screaming, hair pulling and banging the head in the wall. I had carefully tested ESX4 on the second system to avoid any surprises, but had wrongly assumed that the e100 cards were guaranteed to work. My bad. So now I'll have to search for another pair of network cards... :-(

Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]