View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 DELL SC1430 

Post DELL SC1430
I have installed ESXi 4.1 on a DELL SC1430 Server.

- DELL PowerEdge SC1430
- Onboard BCM 5751 Gigabit NIC (tg3)
- Add on PCIe HP 110T Gigabit (e1000e)
- Dual XEON Quad 5310 Processors
- BIOS 1.4.0
- Built in SATA controller has no RAID claims, but works fine
- Used an Adaptec SA2410 4 port SATA RAID PCIX works fine
- Booting to Kingston Datatravellor USB drive
- VT enabled in BIOS (disable is default)

So, it's a standard SC1430, no modifications, everything seems to work fine without any hacking. The onboard SATA is not RAID at all but just worked.

I boot the ESXi 4.1 CD in the IDE CDROM and installed to a Kingston DataTraveller 2.0 8GB stick just fine, no problems.

I setup the RAID1 between two WD 1TB disks on the add-on SATA controller using the cards BIOS. Oddly enough, this card cannot make RAID with disks over 1TB in size. It simply does not see them, so lookout for that.

Otherwise, everything just worked! The system was near new for NZ$1500 and has 8 cores and maximum 16GB RAM capacity! This particular server can take two extra drives internally but requires another fan. Otherwise, there is no hot-swap or room for a hot-swap tray.

Hopefully this helps somebody.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:48 am

Post Re: DELL SC1430
Hi Gundar,

Just wanted to ask the work around you did with the 2405 card since you cannot do raid 1 with 1 terabyte drives. I was planning to get this card but I plan to put four 1tr drives on raid 10. also do you see the health status of the drives with the card on the esxi health menu?

thanks

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:17 pm

Hi

This is the 2410, not 2405. The limit was unusal because the card actually sees the 1.5TB drives and shows them, but when you use the cards BIOS to create teh array it just says 'no disks available'. I found by chance googling that the limit is the drive size.

No card status shows, just that it is an adaptec card and has a disk, no health, although I have not tried SNMP or added any drivers of any sort.

I really need that extra .5TB, so I have removed the card since and cannot see now.

Good luck.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:28 am

I'm looking at using the SC1430 for VMware ESXi 4.0 and higher.

You mentioned the system you have is loaded with 16GB of RAM. I checked the specs and it looks like the SC1430 maxes out at 8GB. I'm sure you have what is stated, but I want to make sure I'm not buying the wrong model server only to find out it doesn't work with ESXi.

You can buy SC1430 motherboards on ebay and they have photos to look at. The ones I've seen only have 4 memory sockets, but it appears on these units that there are additional spaces between them without the memory sockets but with circuitry present which suggests there may be a different model of board with more sockets.

Thanks for any help. I'll probably buy the SC1430 I'm looking at regardless because the specs are really good (dual quad 5310's, 8gb RAM, 500GB SATA, etc.) and I can use it for something else or even harvest the parts and resell them individually.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:21 am

Sorry for the really late reply, obviously my computer has been working without flaw for a year now.

Possibly the SC1430 was made before 4GB DIMMs were avaialble or the BIOS was not written originally to support this. Certainly, it has 4 slots and takes 4GB FB DIMMs which are not too pricy at present and 16GB is a good size for a VM test box, at least for me.

I no longer use the internal hard drive, I have a NAS device now which supports NFS and Gigabit, this is a good workaround for shared storage on the cheap and of course facilitates a server upgrade seamlessly.

I hope this helps the next guy who walks past. LEt me know if you need a very specific piece of information. I intend going to ESXi5 soon, but will liekly get a 'new' server for this.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:43 pm

A late reply is better than no reply ;)

Just an FYI, I have ESXi 5 build 474610 running on the SC1430 and it is just fine. Doesn't support hardware passthrough, but that's it.

Thanks for the heads up on memory maximums. Crucial dot com says it maxes out at 8, but Edge Tech Corp dot com says 16.

Where do you get your RAM? I'm finding the pricing to be a little high at $246 per 8GB kit.

Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]