View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 ESXi 4.0 Success on a Gigabyte GA-MA78LM-S2H 

Post ESXi 4.0 Success on a Gigabyte GA-MA78LM-S2H
I have successfully installed VMware ESXi 4.0 Update 1 on a Gigabyte GA-MA78LM-S2H. The onboard SATA is set to AHCI mode. I did not test any other mode. I used an external USB CD-ROM to install from. Currently the system has a single 250GB SATA HD. The onboard NIC (a Marvell 8168) is not recognized by the ESXi install disc. I added an Intel PCI 1000MBit nic. The system currently has 2GB of DDR2-667 memory. CPU is an Athlon II x2 240 (socket AM3) at 2.8 GHz. The motherboard supports AMD-V and is enabled in the BIOS.

I first tried to install from a SATA drive attached to the onboard controller. That failed. I then tried to use dd and copy the install image onto a flash drive. Initially the motherboard would not boot from the flash drive. I had to swap partition 1 and 4. It is a known problem and the solution was found by searching this forum. I was able to get the onboard NIC recognized by using an oem.tgz from this forum. Even though I could manage the system some things would still fail. I was unable to download the VMware-viclient.exe to install the admin tool. After my initial success with the flash drive I decided to add the Intel NIC and try to install again. On the next install attempt (from external USB cd-rom) I was able to install with an unmodified ESXi disc.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]