View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 

Post Re: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
ridiculous1000 wrote:
ridiculous1000 wrote:
No, I haven't even taken the board out of its box yet! I will test as soon as I purchase the remaining components.

To my knowledge, VMDP allows upto two PCI/PCIe devices in the host to be made available and connected to VMs. Is this true?

Reading the tech specs of my Intel i7-950 CPU, it seems that VT-d isn't supported. I could be wrong though.

Well I purchased the Asus P6X58D-E and VMdirectPath works at last!
You will of course need to enable this in BIOS (Intel VT-d option "Enabled") Please also notice that you must have both CPU and Motheboard Intel VT-d capable in order for this to work. Even if you get an Intel VT-d CPU you may find that your mobo doesn't support this. Gigabyte X58A-UD3R doesn't support it for instance.

Regarding how many devices you can VMDP my experience with ASUS is the following:

I can VMDP both PCI slots of the board and the onboard VIA FW controller as one entity. Meaning that you cannot VMDP the pci slot devices separately. They have to go as one piece. It seems that the PCI bus is shared or something.
This is not so good especially if you have the Lan MAnagement interface on a PCI slot! You cannot VMDP any PCI device in this case because if you do you will drop your ESX's LAN connection :(

The PCIe slots on the other hand work independently and you can assign each of them as you like.
Each VM can take up to 6 VMDP Devices.

One interesting thing with this board is that you can assign all usbs as you like and specifically the NEC USB3 controller which is a good asset.

Finally the marvel sata controller unfortunately doesn't seem to work as well as the onboard HD audio. If you assign the latter to a win VM and power it on then you will crash your ESX for some reason!

Overall i think the ASUS p6X58D-E is a great mobo at least as an ESXi 4.1 :D

Attachments:
ASUS-P6X58D-E_VMDirect.jpg
ASUS-P6X58D-E_VMDirect.jpg [ 195.56 KiB | Viewed 6788 times ]
Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:03 am

This is a longshot as twood may no longer browse this forum, but can you confirm what CPU you used with the Asus P6X58D-E that allowed VT-d to work? I'm trying to build a beefy ESXi box with 24GB of RAM so needed an x58 motherboard with 6 DDR slots. I understand both the CPU and motherboard must support VT-d, and I'd decided to go with a P6X58D-E and a socket 1366 core i7-9xx CPU. From what I can find on the net, the Bloomfield and Gulftown socket 1366 CPUs do not support VT-d, so I'd be interested in finding out which CPU you went for. 24GB is more important to me than VT-d so I'm bound to an x58 board at the moment, but if I'm incorrect about the core i7-9xx's then I'd love to know.

Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_i7

http://ark.intel.com/MySearch.aspx?s=t& ... ckets=1366

Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:40 am
Site Admin

The CPU only has to support VT. VT-d is a chipset feature - http://www.intel.com/support/processors ... apkw=(VT-d).

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:00 pm

Fantastic! Thanks Dave. I'm going shopping.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Dave.Mishchenko wrote:
The CPU only has to support VT. VT-d is a chipset feature - http://www.intel.com/support/processors ... apkw=(VT-d).

Not sure if this is true. for example i5-2500K has no VT-d support, http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=52210, while i5-2500 has etc

http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=4 ... 2210,52209,

Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:39 am
Site Admin

Looks like we're both correct. Directed I/O is handled by the memory controller. That function is starting to be integrated into the CPU so VT-d is moving from the chipset to the CPU.

Fri May 27, 2011 10:18 pm

has anyone tried the marvell 9128 sataiii if it works? right now i have esxi 4.1 installed on a 1gb usb and a 160gb drive plugged into one of the intel sataii ports. i'm planning on buying 2 2tb drives and create a raid0 datastore using the marvell raid array.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:48 am
Site Admin

I haven't tested it myself, but with ESXi the drivers don't support software RAID controllers. The best you get with them is individual disks.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:50 pm

ya i got a chance to finally set it up and tried it out. all 3 raid chipsets don't work with esxi. i can create the raid0 with the intel and gigabyte right before it boots into esxi but it doesn't recognize it. it still sees it as separate drives.

what is the cheapest raid card i can get that supports it? i don't want to put too much more into this little project. it's just for home use.

Dave.Mishchenko wrote:
I haven't tested it myself, but with ESXi the drivers don't support software RAID controllers. The best you get with them is individual disks.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:43 am
Site Admin

An LSI based controller like the Dell Perc 5 /6 can be picked up used. There are some Adaptec options listed - http://www.vm-help.com/Whitebox_HCL.php. Just note that Adaptec HostRAID is software RAID and you'd have the same problem with ESXi.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next