View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Shuttle K45 ran ESXi 3.5 with 4gig RAM /Intel Pro/1000GT 

Post Shuttle K45 ran ESXi 3.5 with 4gig RAM /Intel Pro/1000GT
Until very recently I was running a very basic Shuttle K45 with 4gig of ram (officially over-spec). This unit ran in a very small box on a 100w supply, I built it intentionally for a domestic environment to minimize heat and power consumption as much as possible.

I would NOT recommend this particular configuration any more however; the system recently failed and parts for this device are too hard to obtain (at least here in Australia). The RAM is dead and the motherboard is also completely dead, I was only able to salvage the CPU and NIC internally however I think the case and supply are still viable. When it failed a few days ago I discovered a very high failure rate on the K45’s and this problem is very common; I wouldn’t recommend their hardware as a result as failure rates seem very high and parts were too obscure (with over a month's waiting time for replacement). I have since re-tasked some of the surviving gear into a gigabyte board in a similar config (spec post for Gigabyte EG41MF-US2H coming).

Specifications:

Server MB: Proprietary Shuttle FC10 motherboard – mini-ITX format (though a bit longer than other boards, designed to fit this case)

Server NIC: Added Intel Pro 1000GT NIC

Onboard NIC: didn’t work (though I didn’t try any OEM drivers, just used the Intel NIC)

Chipset: Intel 945CG

Disk controller: Intel ICH7 (standard configuration, no RAID option utilized as only one drive in use)

BIOS: standard shipped version

Socket type: Socket 775

CPU used: Intel Core 2 Duo E7300

HDD configuration: Only used 1 hard drive, Western Digital Green 1tb 5400rpm drive

RAM: Used stock standard “RAmos” sticks, ran 2 sticks of 2gb each (PC-800 DDR2); the system runs them at 533. This configuration is over spec for this system which is officially rated at only 2gig max ram however this seemed to work ok, system only presented 3.2gb of ram available.

Changes required to make the system operate: The case does not support a CD-Rom drive so I built the system with the case open and a 5.25” CD-Rom drive plugged into the device’s PATA controller; I later rebuilt the system with the case on and used an external USB caddy temporarily holding the CDRom drive setting the BIOS of the system to boot from USB.

The only concession I made was to use the Intel Pro/1000GT – this was possible as the unit had 1 internal PCI socket. It has an onboard NIC but I never bothered with this as (at the time of build) it was unsupported.

Does the MB support Intel VT (vt-x) / AMD-V: Unknown (I don’t think it did but as the hardware is no longer working I can’t assess)

Does it support vt-d (directed I/O) / AMD IOMMU: Unknown

General notes:

I ran this unit for about 13-14 months before the motherboard died; it was well suited to the task of running a series of virtual machines 24/7 with minimal power consumption, staggering the start cycle of the VMs compensated for the low spin speed of the single internal drive.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]